• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Radiator cap

daveSanborn

My radiator was spitting coolant overboard and the engine temp was rising on shut down. I installed an overflow tank and things seemed to get better. But I noticed the overflow tank would stay full. Why wasn't it sucking back into the radiator as the engine/coolant cooled? Because my $18 Griffin radiator cap was a piece of crap and not creating a pressurized seal, that's why! I recently replaced the cap with a cheapo from the local parts store and life is good once again.

Don't underestimate the stupid stuff when you're troubleshooting a heating/cooling issue.

Dave

Get one of these

2_06_08_08_2_21_26.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
Dave, Use your southern charm and get us a group discount........ ~hd

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just bought a couple of Stant caps with different pressure rating to see what would work best on my car. I went from a 13lb to a 18lb and it seams to have helped the pissing when I shut it off and the pressure goes up. I too have an overflow that if always full when I shut down but almost empty when I start up when it is cool. You want to check to see what your radiator will hold pressure wise.

I have seen those caps before, but I think they are 13lbs right? Do they have 16 or 18#ers?

Back