• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Radio options on a 66 convertible

steveh326

OK OK not even close yet but thinking down the road to when I need some tunes in the car. it looks like the only in-dash options are from CAS or Retrosound, neither of which look to be quality units based on reviews that I've read. I don't need concert quality sound but would like something decent to power my ipod. It's looking to me like thats going to mean an aftermarket DIN unit mounted either under the dash or in the glovebox. Toying with the idea of making a center stack to go under the dash on the trans hump in front of the gear shift with a DIN cutout in it for an aftermarket radio, all removable, but not sure how that'll look. not real crazy about the glove box option either due to accessability issues.

The evil hacker on my shoulder wants me to just go ahead and cut a DIN sized hole in the dash for a sanitary install, but the good car fairy on my other shoulder is telling me not to do it. I've never been interested in concourse restorations of anything, and my mustang won't be any different, it'll have plenty of non-stock mods, but still thats hacking up a perfectly good dash, and I think some of the mustang purists might spit on me when the top is down...lol.

are there any options I am missing?

Steve

You'll have some difficulty getting the dash in a 64-66 to fit a din radio flush because of the design. You could always get one of those radio delete plates that fit over the factory radio holes (they offer the weld in version as well) and then use the under dash or glove box style. I ran a small center console that I built in my 66 and housed 2 gauges (2 1/4" I think) and the aftermarket single din radio. It looked decent, but most of the terribleness of the look came from my amateur wood working/console building skills and being talked into using a fair amount of batting (think the fluffy stuff in your couch cushions) between the console and the fabric it was wrapped in. Otherwise I've read you can get a later Ford am/fm radio and have it sent out to be modded to attach an ipod cable so you can run your ipod.

I never thought about the radio delete cover, thanks for that idea.

I've done cabinetmaking on the side for the last 15 years or so, so I have fair woodworking skills and a decent shop. I am liking the idea of building a center box under the dash to house an aftermarket DIN radio, thanks. I figure thats probably the best location for convenience, hopefully I can come up with something that looks like it belongs there.

There are radio repair shops that can take the standard AM radio and make it FM and USB compatible. If you go that route, the radio itself will look very stock!

My wife has a 66 HI PO convertible, and have been looking at all the radios that will fit without any modifications . Custom auto makes a nice radio with all kinds of features. I have installed the single din and just build up the face plate to match the dash. I wouldn't cut the dash with all the nice radios they now make.

"Midlife" said:
There are radio repair shops that can take the standard AM radio and make it FM and USB compatible. If you go that route, the radio itself will look very stock!
I love this suggestion. Any idea on an approximate cost to have this done?

"mustangstofear" said:
My wife has a 66 HI PO convertible, and have been looking at all the radios that will fit without any modifications . Custom auto makes a nice radio with all kinds of features. I have installed the single din and just build up the face plate to match the dash. I wouldn't cut the dash with all the nice radios they now make.

Originally I was planning on going with a USA 630 in the dash and the CAS ipod controller in the glovebox, but I let all the internet hype on how the CAS radios sucked get to me. Maybe I should go back to plan A, I am so confused... :)

although the idea of the radio delete plate and hanging one under the center of the dash, maybe in a custom console, does have it's appeal. I could use the radio plate to house some switches.

but the USA630 would offer the cleanest install, which is ultimately what I am after.

"Horseplay" said:
I love this suggestion. Any idea on an approximate cost to have this done?

I'm guessing on the order of $200-$300.

I found a number of companies (mostly sound like one man home businesses) with a simple Google search that do conversion of the original radios to modern AM/FM function. Most also offer adding an AUX capability so you can plug in an MP3 or remote CD changer. Price comes in at about $400 by the time you include your shipping costs. Not cheap but you end up with a stock look and modern functionality.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to 2. My car will be nowhere near stock when done so stock looking doesn't matter to me, but I do not want to hack the dash either.

I am either going to use a radio block plate and hang this sony media tray radio (no CD player) under the dash in the aftermarket housing. I'll load some toggles in the block off plate to utilize the space.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSX200X ... and%7cSony

or go with a USA 630+IPOD controller in the dash. My issue is one of continuity. I'll be switching out my gauges to Autometer with either cobolt or red backlighting (TBD depending on final paint color), and I really want the stereo lighting to match so it all flows together. So far I don't have a definitive answer on whether someone can modify a USA630 for me to change the backlighting, while the Sony unit is already setup for both blue and red. I talked to tech support at CAS and they told me what people have done in the past is to glue a piece of blue or red mylar over the radio face to change the color... sounds like a half assed solution to me. I converted the gauges on my harley to blue, there is a company called bluegauges.com that does the speedo and tach conversions by removing and resoldering new LEDs onto the boards... I need to find somone capable of doing the same thing to the CAS radio for me then I would be set.

Back