• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rapid Rabbit's 70 Stang

I am so far over budget on this engine swap already might as well.

I was hoping to get the car painted this winter but that may have to wait now.

It should be drivable just in time for winter. Time to get snow tires! Whoo hoo.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

budget?!? what's that?
but I understand. Bummer on the trans. I wish I was closer. I have 4R70W that we could swap the guts out of into the AOD case so you wouldn't need a puter and the 70W is a stronger trans. It's out of a wrecked 4.6 car so I don't have a use for it. I have never done that actual swap but read about it and looks pretty straight forward. Anyway, paint is over rated. Get that baby running and collect some rock chips and more door dings.

Well I stopped in and checked on the mustang the other day. Still waiting for trans rebuild. He's been backed up and finally should be getting to my car next week.

But as usual another issue has popped up. Apparently my fuel sending unit has been leaking gas while sitting in the shop. It seems to be coming from the stud where the electrical connection pushes on.

Any idea how to stop this, or do i need to replace with a brand new unit.

Pretty sure my car hates me!

Well I stopped in and checked on the mustang the other day. Still waiting for trans rebuild. He's been backed up and finally should be getting to my car next week.

But as usual another issue has popped up. Apparently my fuel sending unit has been leaking gas while sitting in the shop. It seems to be coming from the stud where the electrical connection pushes on.

Any idea how to stop this, or do i need to replace with a brand new unit.

Pretty sure my car hates me!
Mine did the same thing...my advise is to replace it. Inexpensive fix. Nothing worse than walking into the garage and smelling leaking gas fumes.

Well here's the problem.

It's an EFI conversion unit from Ron Morris. I probably bought it 4or 5 years ago when I started this swap.

So by brand new, I mean it's only had fuel in the tank since we first fired the engine a little over a month ago and maybe been driven a total of 3 miles.

Also the return line soldering broke off and had to be re soldered before we filled the tank too.

So not sure if I can return it. Obviously a quality issue.

The trans rebuild is done. Paid the man today and I'm going to pick it up tonight....

Wish me luck. It's been a long string of problems but I'm hoping to get a little drive time.

Luck! I really do hope it all comes together for you quickly now, Pat. You can still get a few nice weekends in before the weather fully turns on us.

Well that depends on the term good.

I finally got to the trans shop last night and picked up the car. It is now at home the garage.

l realized after 6 years of not driving the car I forgot how much it sucked driving it at night! It was dark and raining when we got it.

The head lights are dim. The instruments are even worse. Couldn't see my speed. Driver side taillight bulb popped off into the housing so i need to remove the whole thing to get it out. Drive home with no left rear taillight or blinker. Almost hit a cop. Thought he was going to pull me over then he passed me on the right and I didn't see him.

The transmission still shifted really hard. The fuel sender is leaking slightly and needs to be replaced.

The back seat is not in or any rear carpet or trunk lining, so the fuel pump is loud as hell and rattles everything in the car.

The steering still wanders all over the road. I need to go through the suspension again and get an alignment and new tires.

Still a lot of little projects, but it is running and driving now. Just in time for winter.

Working all weekend so haven't had time to get it out on a decent shakedown.

I'm off Monday so if it's not raining I'll take it out for a long ride and how it is.

I think you are driving my car! sounds a lot like the battles I go through. I feel you pain and I wish I could tell you it gets better but from my experiences there are no guarantees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried to get a picture of the gauges, but they are so dark they don't show up in the picture.

This is lights on sitting on the garage.

8938ab13af432e3d851e86c88d6d89ed.jpg

Are you putting out enough volts to keep the battery charged? What about the headlight switch? That controls the power to the gauges doesn't it?

The battery seems fine. I haven't tested the alternator. But both are new. The gauges have always been very dim. I've just never taken the cluster apart to figure it out.

The headlight switch does control the brightness. It will turn them down even lower but they don't get brighter. I'm sure it's just the bulbs or something in the cluster. Been that way since I bought the car.

Back