• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Re-restoration in progress for some vintage racing

Can you rotate the starter 180* and get it to fit?
No

Called Powermaster and talked to a tech. They have a newer more powerful mini that is clockable that will work with my combo (yeah right, I'll see when it arrives). The new one is good for engines up to 18:1 compression. This one is only 13:1, so it should be fine.

Called Ford Racing and Summit too. Both of those techs were zero help. The Summit guy actually told me that the starter I ended up buying won't work with a 157 tooth flywheel. The guy at Powermaster called him an idiot :)

Anyone need a Powermaster XS mini? It fits a 157 tooth flywheel and a manual tranny. It is about 12 years old, but worked fine the last time I drove the car this time last year. Model # 9503.3

My brother came up for a few days to give Deb a break and we managed to get the motor prepped AND installed yesterday. Had to fit the new starter, bellhousing and headers as well. Spent 2 days just making everything fit with the proper clearances! Maybe tomorrow I'll try and install the headers now that the engine is in the car. Still have to modify the equalizer bar to fit around the headers. I think I know what needs to be done, but won't know for sure until the headers are in. It's one of those deals where it all has to be in place to know what to do.

I do have a look-a-like!

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Engine%20862016.jpg

What do you think, should I re-paint the front grill?
Why bother? As things are you will just get it all nicked up again as the field passes you and you are left trailing behind. Now if you were to ever lead a race...

Finished hooking up the oil pressure line and the new low oil pressure sender for the light in the dash. I was waiting on some adapter fittings that came yesterday. Also installed the oil vapor catch can and made the SS hoses and fittings. Made a new adjustable lower linkage for the clutch with a spherical bearing end and some threaded rod. Still have to modify the equalizer bar once I get the driver side header in.

IMG_0648.jpg

81416.jpg

Got the new Mac headers in...holy crap what a PITA that was. Nothing like putting the old Tri-Y's in. Those were a piece of cake...can of corn...very easy!

Had to remove the upper A arm bolts and cut them down for clearance. Had to modify the Hi-Po equalizer bar so it would fit and have the clearance needed to operate. Just to get the bar in place was a gymnastic test of skill. Bertha (my giant screwdriver) was needed to move the header tubes around!

Had to cut 1/4" off the shaft and then angle/round off the bottom of the lower arm. Drove out the old pin and welded in a new fine threaded stud that fits the new spherical bearing clutch rod.

The last 3 days have wiped me out as far as energy is concerned. Drugs are done tomorrow and will have a few days to recover before the next round of chemo. Sure feels good to get these little items figured out and modified!

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Sorry for the shitty pics. And for some reason, I'm unable to edit them and rotate.

After many hours and days, the car is done for now. It's back on all four...something that hasn't happened since July of last year. Finished up the exhaust today. Still need to bleed the brakes, align it, fill it with coolant and new fuel and it's ready to go.
IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0719.JPG
Next round of drugs start tomorrow, so I'll get some recoup time.

When I put the car on the ground, I checked to see how much neg camber it had. I rough set it for around -3 3/4 to -4 degrees. When I checked it, the pass side was at -3 1/4 and the driver side was -3 3/4. I ran out of energy to check caster, but it's close to what I'm shooting for, just eyeballing it. The toe is close too.

Yea...we need some new footage of you chasin' that...Oh what was it ? It's on the tip of my tongue ? Hmmm? Maybe it will come to me later tonite.

Yea...we need some new footage of you chasin' that...Oh what was it ? It's on the tip of my tongue ? Hmmm? Maybe it will come to me later tonite.

Let me help you...was it a short school bus? A tricycle? A shadow perhaps? A plastic surgeon who specializes in ear repair? Maybe an Iowan corn wagon aka harvester...

VW Golf GTI, Turbo. Driven by a really FAST guy in the advanced class!

2014-volkswagen-golf-gti-5-door-concept-photo-476619-s-1280x782.jpg

and I was on a set of Goodyear Bluestreaks that had already given up their life. And the sun was in my eyes and I had the flu.

Back