• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear axle/3rd member

I saw some craters in the 3rd member cover. Is this normal or is this a cause for concern?

IMG_6628_zps20936198.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The word "Cactus" springs to mind.
Where has it been sitting for years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the fill plug is in the side of the third member (drivers side). Unfortunately the only way to drain it is split the third member from the housing (or take it to Jiffy Lube and let them vacuum it out).

In case I end up just pulling off the 3rd member, Do you know how much fluid I would use to refill it? What is a good fluid to put in it as well?

"Larry G" said:
Craig do you really mean pints?
yeah, did I spell it wrong?
I usually use 2.5 to 3 pints of 90W in an 8 inch rear diff. I fill it till it runs out the fill plug.

with a non running car, is their anyway to tell either by spinning the wheels or by looking at the 3rd member if it has a traction lock or not?

if it still works, you should be able to jack up one rear wheel. If the clutches are working you won't be able to turn the lifted wheel (at least not easily). If you raise both rear wheels and turn one, the other will rotate in the opposite direction if it is not a traction lock. (with car in gear)

Back