• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear disk brakes worth it?

steveh326

my next updates on my car will revolve around the rear end. I am really wanting rear disk brakes as my next serious upgrade. already running upgraded SSBC disks on the front. so SSBC in the rear. for me it's probably 50/50 about the looks vs. performance of the disks. I love the red calipers peaking thru the wheels...lol.

manual brakes on my car no booster. I am just wondering if I will notice any braking difference good or bad by changing the rear to disks.

Summit is running their $100 off $1000 coupon right now which is really prompting me to order them now.

P.S. - I know Wilwood is all the faschizzle but I went with SSBCs at the time a few years ago for whatever reasons, so locked into that. and so far the SSBCs are performing fine on the front, no complaints.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 18
Disk is better than drum for obvious reasons but in a typical automotive application the front brakes are doing up to 70% of the braking duty. You do not see nearly the gain of disk over drum in the rear as you do in front. However, there is a performance gain and simplification of the overall system if you have 4 wheel disk.

And not all disk brake set-ups are equal. Rotor size, pad area, pad material, caliper design...all kinds of variables. For a street car any reputable brand of decent design will do just fine. One thing to consider is the e-brake function/hook-up. If you have a manual car the e-brake is of much more importance. Wilwood's integral set-up is slick and performs very well.

Putting disc brakes on the rear of these old monsters is a waste of $$ IMO. Better shoe compound makes a world of difference.

Some of us have cars that are quicker and can go faster than a PT Cruise and may want additional stopping power.

I bit the bullet and ordered the rear disks to match my front from SSBC. drop shipped from SSBC it'll take a few weeks before they are here. to be honest, for me it was as much about the look of the rear caliper poking out from behind the wheel as much as any stopping power.... I know, I know...

I won't install them until I can afford to get a posi with lower gears then do both at the same time one day.

Tangential question: If you swap out drums for disc on the rear, do you also need to install an adjustable proportioning valve to ensure the rear doesn't lock up early?

> Why would you want to try and install a GM rear differential in your mustang?

whole bunch of smart asses...lol

> I was thinking the same thing. Install a tru trac in a 8” or 9” housing instead.

thats where I am headed. is the tru trac a worthwhile upgrade over a trac-loc? I really like the concept of the tru trac that gets rid of the clutches. PROLLY go that route.

whole bunch of smart asses...lol

thats where I am headed. is the tru trac a worthwhile upgrade over a trac-loc? I really like the concept of the tru trac that gets rid of the clutches. PROLLY go that route.

Yes
And
Yes.

Mark

Back