• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Relay question

gwstang

I need to start using the high speed on the Taurus fan as the low speed does not quite cool enough for the summer with the ac on etc. I have toasted several relays last year, (including my nice fan relay controller) so I am looking to get a continuous duty type relay for this thing. I saw where someone on the 4x4 pirate site used a relay that looks similar to the starter relay on our old fords. It was an 85 amp continuous duty relay from Napa. I am wondering why I couldn't just use a regular starting relay to feed this monster on high speed? Doesn't a starter pull big amps when it kicks on? Seems I read that the high speed on the Taurus fan pulls a lot of amps on start up (70-80 or so), then settles in at around 45 amps or so. Swmbo just loves it when I have to pull into a parking lot to change out a toasted relay and the fan has stopped and the damn car is running hot...lol. Must fix this once and for all and I don't want to buy another fan controller as I just leave it where it runs when the ignition is turned on anyway so no need for a controller, just an ass kickin' relay!!!

I like that. I will drop by napa tomorrow and see what they have. I guess it will need to be the continuous duty type of relay? Thanks, Gary :thu

Actually, a some of the Ford relays are rated for continuous duty. I sell quite a few of these to customers for winches, tailgates, etc. Tell your favorite counter guy to open up the illustrated book, which has specs on each solenoid.

Thanks, I picked up an st85 continuous duty solenoid looking thing. Looks like a starter solenoid but for continuous duty. They ain't cheap either.

Back