• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replacing a cowl

Kats66Pny

The more I learn about repairing the cowl, the less I want to mess with it. I'm too scared I'd mess something up or if I let just anyone weld it in and they mess something up :hide .... so I might be taking it to classicdoug's shop here in town and let them do it. It'll be pricey, but that's what income tax return is for. :thu

I got lucky, the radio panel was never cut and the original radio was still there. That's one thing I won't change my mind about. I want to keep the original radio in the dash. It doesn't work, but I don't care. I like having that little piece of history in the mustang. I plan on adding an another radio though built in somehow to the console with speakers in the top of the dash, kick panel, package tray, and maybe in the trunk.

Fst Blk

"Kats66Pny" said:
The more I learn about repairing the cowl, the less I want to mess with it. I'm too scared I'd mess something up or if I let just anyone weld it in and they mess something up :hide .... so I might be taking it to classicdoug's shop here in town and let them do it. It'll be pricey, but that's what income tax return is for. :thu

I got lucky, the radio panel was never cut and the original radio was still there. That's one thing I won't change my mind about. I want to keep the original radio in the dash. It doesn't work, but I don't care. I like having that little piece of history in the mustang. I plan on adding an another radio though built in somehow to the console with speakers in the top of the dash, kick panel, package tray, and maybe in the trunk.

Doing the work yourself is the best part about owning a classic. :steer
Bill

Kats66Pny

"67 Fastback" said:
Doing the work yourself is the best part about owning a classic. :steer
Bill

Yes, it is but when it comes to major things sometimes it's best to call in a pro or at least someone with experience welding in cowls.. :thu

"Kats66Pny" said:
Yes, it is but when it comes to major things sometimes it's best to call in a pro or at least someone with experience welding in cowls.. :thu
You could take it apart yourself and save a ton. All those spotwelds take forever to get drilled out, and at $50/hr minimum it'll add up fast.

Kats66Pny

I think he charges like $60 or $75/hr.. Can't remember which, but yeah I was going to try to do as much prep work stuff myself and supply the pieces so help cut down on the cost. I thought about removing the old cowl first, but then I worried about the stability of the car with no cowl having to have it transported to the shop and back to my house. Would it even be safe to move it with no cowl in?? :shrug

Same Question. I want to remove my upper cowl, but I have the passenger toe board and part of the firewall removed. I'm afraid if I remove the cowl too, there will be no support.

Kat, when it comes to doing it yourself vs a shop, I'm going the do it myself way. This way I can learn something along the way. Just my $.02.

Kat,

How's the cowl coming? Any progress? I'm nearing the end of my welding class and its getting nicer here, so I plan on working on my cowl soon. Give us an update.

Kats66Pny

I haven't touched the cowl yet. I just got the engine pulled out last weekend. I'm debating if I want to even mess with my 66 or just find something else that isn't as bad of shape that only needs minor work done to it. After I had a few folks from my car club tell me my mustang is in pretty bad shape, and if it were them, find a different body and just put the engine and trans in it...well I'm giving it real thought. These folks rotisserie restored their classics and have way more experience with classic cars than I do.

I found a 70 Mach 1 (w/supposedly matching numbers) that I'm really tempted to get.

You'll have to change your user name. haha. That is a hard decision to make. Mine isn't in terrible shape. Definitely a "worse than it looked" scenario but I'm going to use it as a learning experience. Its just a '66 coupe with an A code 289, so it's nothing special, but I figure I'll learn a lot along the way. Good luck whichever way you go.

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
Kat, let me give a reality check.

1- you have Get torn apart.
2- You know what you are dealing with.
3- You will derive a great amount of self satisfaction out of the rebuild.
4- It is a plain Jane car so you can do whatever you want without messing up something rare!

I would just keep plugging away at Gert.

All this said, I met a guy from VMF in the early days of my membership who was looking at just what you are in fact his was worse. I happened on a 66 coupe with a stock bench seat never painted and never touched. It was in pretty bad shape and had a siezed engine and four seized brakes. I took the guy from Yuma, AZ to Costa Mesa, CA and helped him pick up the car. We took it to his body guy and he actually had the exact peices from his old car that the new one needed. The price was good too. When I got there I checked the cowl and some other things and was able to get the entire car which was complete but not running for $1500. The guy gave me $500 for my trouble telling me he was prepared to give them the $2k they wanted.

This being said those deals are getting very hard to find. I had a 66 coupe I paid $5k for and sold for the same amount to help out a VMFer and he seemed grateful. besides I needed the money to pay for ED.

My point is if you just keep plugging away and the tear down of Gert so you know exactly where you are and keep looking, you could likely fond a 65/66 fastback or coupe or even a vert that needs the parts you have and end up doing OK. It is all in buying right. Some people ask too much and some people pay too much for the projects.

Also, I bought the 67 and missed a bunch of rust and took 5 years getting that car done. I have a coupe probably worth around $13-$15k, but I have a good $25k in her. would I sell her? No, I like what has been done and will do some more when money is better.

On the other hand I paid too much for ED since I bought him at the peak of prices. He is a fastback so he will go up in value eventually. Will I sell him? I have thought about it, but not if I don't have to. I love the car and have in my mind what I want to do and want to see it through. Not much is stock either. Both cars are C code cars, so I really don't care what I do to them.

On the other hand if I had some money and the right deal came along for me to get into something a bit more rare like the boss 351 I had in college, I would do that and restore it to stock, color and all.

I hope I was able to help you out a bit. Feel free to vent here anytime and we can all tell you how to spend your money.

IMHO, keep Gert and make her just what you want, E kit and all. Even though I don't like the E kits, do what you want! You have a great start.

Mel

abrahamfh

Its a tough decision you are faced with but you will continue frustrated until you decide and create a plan to move forward.

AzPete

I would say you are to far into Gert to turn back. The time to turn would have been before you tore her down. Selling her now is nothing more than a bunch of parts.

Unless you stumble onto a rare deal, you are going to be fixing rust no matter what. Keep what you have got and move forward. Other cars look good but until you tear them down, you will be at the mercy of the seller as to the rust.

Just some thoughts.....