• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replacing passenger vent window

pnandy

How hard is it to replace a 68 vent window I've been needing to replace mine for some time now the PO locked him self out and tried to break it but only ended up scratching it several times.
Would it just be better to hav it done and if so how much should it cost? Already hav the glass

Are you changing just the glass or the stainless frame too?

I've changed the glass with the stainless frame removed from the entire vent assembly which was pretty easy to do.

I'd venture to say that if you are carful you could do it while the whole assembly is still installed on the door, but would be easier to remove the stainless frame.

Once the door panel is removed, it shouldn't be too tough to remove the entire stainless frame as it comes out with one nut attached to the bottom pivot. You just need to be careful with that nut because if it is seized to the shaft, then you run the risk of twisting the shaft off of the stainless frame which is not easily repaired. If you remove it, be sure to pb-blast the nut good for a while. After you get the nut off, the spring and a washer should come off too. To remove the vent assy, just push down until the top pivot comes out of the frame, then pull the stainless frame out.

Here's a pic from a parts door I had...
vent_frame_attach.JPG

To remove the glass, use a razor blade at a very sharp angle to reach as deep into the stainless channel as you can get and slice out as much of the glass setting tape as you can. Then with a taped up flat head screw driver just lightly pry the end of the stainless away from the glass at the two ends... just enough to break the seal. It'll probably be pretty dry and you might not even need to pry it much. Beleive it or not.... if you have a vise, you can wrap the glass in a few layers of cloth and clamp it in the vise and then use a block of wood and a mallet to lightly tap the stainless frame off the glass. Just work your way around the glass... once it gets moving you can tap on the ends to move it along a little faster. Cutting the setting tape earlier relieves the pressure somewhat to make the tapping off a fair bit easier.

To re install the new glass you need 1/16" glass setting tape. Soak the strip in soapy water, fold it in half lengthwise, partially insert it into the stainless frame, then set the glass and use a rubber mallet to tap the frame back on... let the glass draw the tap in, don't try to fully seat the tape in the channel as it tends to jam up. Once it's installed, trim the excess glass seting tape off...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine while still installed in the door, I was even able to reuse the setting tape, it was still in good shape I just pried very carefully with a small flat blade screwdriver, as mentioned above, and worked the glass out. Since you're replacing the glass, it really doesn't matter if you damage the scratched glass anyway.

Frank

Well considering that replacement glass is in a messed up frame I'll have to remove it to prices of glass how hard is it to replace the rubber trim can I do it with the glass in for the other side? Thanks for the quick responses

Back