• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Repro sheet metal rant (Pics)

Well, the more I look at this, the more I dislike it. The fit at the valance isn't worth sh!t, so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and put in new lower quarters. I really didn't want to trust myself to weld anywhere it could be seen, especially the middle of the quarter where warpage will be hard to prevent, and a disaster when it happens, but que sera. If anyone else would like to make some measurements it'd be greatly appreciated.

My Dad always said the sign of a good welder is he knows how to run a grinder. Gotta start somewhere.....and a grinder will dress things out nicely until the technique is learned well. Just don't let anything get the metal to hot....

"Dennis Harrelson" said:
Well, the more I look at this, the more I dislike it. The fit at the valance isn't worth sh!t, so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and put in new lower quarters. I really didn't want to trust myself to weld anywhere it could be seen, especially the middle of the quarter where warpage will be hard to prevent, and a disaster when it happens, but que sera. If anyone else would like to make some measurements it'd be greatly appreciated.

What measurements do you need?

I'm really not sure. Got to study a little more. Is your taillight panel still in place? Maybe from the bottom of it to the bottom of the quarter, along the slope of the quarter. Mine shouldn't be off to badly there.

Dennis,

Let me know if you have any thoughts on where i should measure? I'm not sure I follow on the tail light panel?

In the mean time, can you measure the trap door opeing in the shell?

I had to remove the pieces on one side to fix some rust. I took a bunch of measurements, but of course I forgot the one that appears to be most critical to actuall putting this stuff back in the right place.

I'm thinking I need the width at the top and the bottom in case the opeing isn't square. I think it should be square, but I''ve been bitten in the past on this car when I guess where something should be.

Pics of what I did below:

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1755.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1756.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1758.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1762.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 22
Some more pics, after I get the bottom of this in place, then I plan to cut out the bad spots up under the window flange.

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 102
I will soon join in on your rant, the scott drake repro doesn't look like it's going to give in easy.

a6cd8a9e-a3bc-74d2.jpg

"jtfx6552" said:
Dennis,

Let me know if you have any thoughts on where i should measure? I'm not sure I follow on the tail light panel?

I had to remove the pieces on one side to fix some rust. I took a bunch of measurements, but of course I forgot the one that appears to be most critical to actuall putting this stuff back in the right place.

I'm thinking I need the width at the top and the bottom in case the opeing isn't square. I think it should be square, but I''ve been bitten in the past on this car when I guess where something should be.

I'll try to get in the garage for a while today, but between my elderly in-laws requiring 24-7 attention and the weather preventing help from getting in, my free time is pretty minimal.

"jtfx6552" said:
Dennis,

I finally got to spend some quality time with the mustang today. Measured the trap door opening like you asked. Below you can see three mounting holes along the sides of the opening:
114-110211132632.jpeg

I measured to these holes assuming they are the key locations.
C-C vertically top hole to bottom hole both sides is 9 9/16"
C-C between the top holes is 33 3/8"
C-C between the bottom is the same, 33 3/8"
Diagonally C-C top pass side hole to bottom drvr side hole is 34 9/16"
Diagonally C-C top drvr side to bottom pass side is 34 5/8"
Presumably the opening is supposed to be square, so the diagonal calculates to 34.7179", which is between 34 9/16" and 34 3/4". Mine is apparently slightly out of square.
Also, I've cut my driver side free of the trunk floor in order to slide the new floor into place, so I may have got it off slightly, but it's damn close:
114-110211134220.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis,

Do you know what in those holes? Mine had the remains of rivets. I thought that must not have been factory, so on the one side, I welded them closed. Guess I got to put them back...

Dennis, both Red and Shag have full trunk carpet kits so they won't do any good to take measurements (besides they don't want me messin' with them) but I will have access to a 67 FB for a couple weeks which still has a empty trunk (but the tank is in place) and can take some measurements as needed. Maybe if you supply pics of what you want measured indicating with either a measuring tape, we can then duplicate the pose with our own measurements.

Yes it looks like per NPD's catalog, these drop off were the same from 65 thru 70

Thanks, Craig.
I've been studying some, and I think I'm going to mount the rear valance, since i still have the original screw holes in the original tail light panel, and allow it to control both horizontal and vertical location of the rear of the quarter (IOW, just bring the bottom of the new quarter up until it fits proper at the bottom of the valance). That leaves me not knowing where the front of the quarter (the rear edge of the wheel well) should be vertically, so any dimension there will help. Maybe confirm the measurement jtfx6552 had at the back edge of the wheel well. I'll get out today and take a couple more pics. I'm not sure the 2nd gen cars are the same, though.
Man, just writing about this is getting me pissed again. I paid good money for that work, and it's all crap. And I'm mad at myself for not even noticing it before. :soapboxrant :bomb :rant

"jtfx6552" said:
Dennis,

Do you know what in those holes? Mine had the remains of rivets. I thought that must not have been factory, so on the one side, I welded them closed. Guess I got to put them back...
No, sorry. It's been so long since I took it apart, I'd have to get into the attic and drag the door and fold down out again and look. And that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

"jtfx6552" said:
Dennis,

If you are talking about the vertical holes on the rear panels, those held the fastback interior pieces in place by the use of rivets.

"cmayna" said:
Dennis, both Red and Shag have full trunk carpet kits so they won't do any good to take measurements (besides they don't want me messin' with them) but I will have access to a 67 FB for a couple weeks which still has a empty trunk (but the tank is in place) and can take some measurements as needed. Maybe if you supply pics of what you want measured indicating with either a measuring tape, we can then duplicate the pose with our own measurements.

Yes it looks like per NPD's catalog, these drop off were the same from 65 thru 70
Sorry I took so long getting back. Yes, I think a measurement from the bottom of the quarter at the back edge of the wheel well to the top of the trunk floor will help a lot.
Attached is a pic showing what I mean. The tape is touching the bottom of the wheel house, and is 18" forward of the taillight panel along the top of the floor where it drops.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    538 KB · Views: 10
I'm not answering an older post, But adding in what i just ran into. Like Dennis's first picture, I also ran into the problem of the trunk floor pan's drop down's not fitting my quarters on my 64 Stang. They were dynacorn's and i got some from NPD that fit, They are a r dot brand, They aren't as thick but the only thing else to do was eather do as Dennis did or weld on longer drop down's. Here's my post from VMF.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vinta ... -pans.html
C-ya Scott

Back