• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

running when key is off

How much alcohol are you using for these tests? :eek:

Intermittent problems are always a bitch.

Someone remind me, solenoids have one moving part that can get stuck, right?

If this is the case maybe the removal of one and replacement of another and back caused that part to un stick.

May very well be some sort of a wiring issue, but that takes time to sort out and could be anything at this point even the harness in the steering column.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Someone remind me, solenoids have one moving part that can get stuck, right?
A solenoid is really just an electro-magnet. When powered the magnetic field causes the contact to mechanically close. And yes, the contact can "stick" in a closed position even though the power to the coil (magnet) is disconnected. The high amperage draw across the contact is the cause as it degrades the contact surfaces over time. That's why hitting one with a tool can cause it to pop free. Once one sticks (contacts are worn) its time for a new one as it will stick again.

Update 2: Decided to try solenoid. Hooked new one up and damn truck literally tried to crank...wth? Unhooked, hooked old solenoid back up and guess what? Truck starts and shuts off like it should. So, truck wouldn't shut off and after trying the switch, ecm, solenoid, and going back to all original parts.............truck is operating as it should. Who knows.
Use a continuity tester to check across the two big posts on that new solenoid. Your problem may be as simple as you had a stuck solenoid to begin with and the new one is "bad" as well, in that it too has continuity across the contact when not powered. It happens.

Stuff doesn't fix itself. You've still got an issue just waiting to strand you. Figure it out.

Next time it decides to act up, yank the "I" wire off the post at the solenoid and see if it dies. If so, solenoid is at fault. If not, something feeding the ignition circuit. Do you have anything tapped in to the ignition feed to the coil+?

Back