• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

rust free mustang?

napaguy

Guys, maybe I need a reality check. Is it possible to find a rust free 65/66 mustang coupe for around 7k? I am beggining to wonder if they are really out there? I just want to be sure I am not looking for something that doesnt exist... TIA

The right seller at the right time is what you will need. I feel you can find them but it will be hard. Especially if you are staying close to home.

There was a 66 coupe locally for 8400. Good looking 6 cyl. auto, no air. Seller said rust free, I found spots at front frame rail but the rest looked good. He said so, and sold the car a week or so later.

It depends on your definition of "rust-free." For the most part, the only rust-free 65-66s out there are those that have been media blasted, removing the rust and/or repairing the rust damage. My 66 was advertised as a California black plate rust-free car when I bought it. Visually, I couldn't find any evidence of rust--different story after it was media blasted. That said, you want to find one with the least amount of rust as possible. Better yet, save your money for one that's already been media blasted, body work done, and painted (with documentation of course).

I used do doubt there were any rust-free cars left until after searching for 8-9 months I found my coupe. No body, frame, cowl, or suspension rust. The only rust i found was in the trunk due to a leaky window gasket. I can live with that. Don't give up, because I think they are still out there, especially in CA, AZ, NM, and TX.

Back