• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

SAAC36 @ VIR

Shaun

I took the car down to VIR for SAAC36 for its first outing since completing this years winter upgrades - http://www.streetortrack.com/files/pict ... htm. I was hoping to get to somewhere local to shake the car down but the weather wouldn't cooperate so it didn't happen.

The car still doesn't like to retain its coolant (well, water and water wetter) and still likes to blow off hoses mid corner but that just adds to the excitment right? Actually, I think I've narrowed that down to the Gano filter (even when completely clear) causing enough back pressure at high rpm to blow off hoses. I ran the car all day Saturday and half of Sunday without the screen in and it kept its hoses on. It got up to 92 degrees Sunday afternoon and the 30 minute sessions were no match for my radiator so I'll have to look into possibly upgrading that. I think the rad could be partially plugged with crap so I'll get it flushed before going larger on the rad.

The good news is that the chassis improvements and seat made a world of difference in my ability to drive the car faster with more confidence. Gone is the mid corner flexing I could feel in the chassis and gone are my sore core muscles and hip cramp from a seat without much support.

It was my first time to VIR and what a way to start. We ran the 4.2 mile 'Grand Course'. It has so many turns I kept joking that I'd need a GPS just to figure out where the heck to turn. Luckily with the long sessions it came together somewhat quickly. I was still taking it easyish on the car after all the changes I'd made but was still able to have fun. Here is a video of a lap - http://www.streetortrack.com/files/vide ... course.wmv and here is one of my Dad doing a driveby - http://www.streetortrack.com/files/vide ... AVI. We were up to around 130mph on the straights and 85mph through the second set of climbing esses. It doesn't look it on the video's but the car is really moving at those speeds!

A few pictures:
VIR1.jpg

VIR2.jpg

VIR3.jpg

The car is using its tires pretty well here:
VIR4.jpg

Rounding the Oak Tree:
VIR5.jpg

My Dad exiting the climbing esses:
VIR6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics, the car looks great. Glad the improvements worked. Now I know why I couldnt find your tent anywhere at Carlisle this past weekend.....

Nice pics and videos Shaun!! I understand about the need for GPS, I got lost watching.

"RyanG85" said:
Great pics, the car looks great. Glad the improvements worked. Now I know why I couldnt find your tent anywhere at Carlisle this past weekend.....

I couldn't do both events. Sit there for 3 days in the rain or run the car at VIR? Easy choice!

How was Carlise?

Friday and half of Sat were beautiful, It rained pretty good on Sat afternoon.... They had a good turnout. I would've done VIR if had the choice...

Very nice job you did Shaun !!

It seems your car sits on rails during cornering. :thu :thu

That track has alot of corners !! A bit too much if you ask me but hee....who am I to say so.

As long as you have fun , isn't it ??!!!

Bruno, the corners are where the fun's at! Any schmo can go in a straight line :roll

"silverblueBP" said:
Bruno, the corners are where the fun's at! Any schmo can go in a straight line :roll
And some of us know how to do it much faster than others. Yeah, I saw your 60 ft time. You should stick to turns. So... :stfu

I would agree! Couldn't get it to hook till deep into 2nd.

You are quite the nut. In your webpage "As a small side project and to enable the outer torque box to be plug welded to the frame rail extension we had to straighten out the frame rail extension from years of jack and jack stand abuse. To access the inside of the extension we cut a slot through the floor and used a 2" x 2" block of steel and a 5lb hammer to straighten out the extension"

I need to do this to my front rails - so I can put in the subframe connector me bets!

Looks like you had much fun and you're making me jealous except for the huge wheels.....

How much weight did you add to the car in this mod?

"silverblueBP" said:

I also think that just like a top fuel guy sitting on a bajillion horse power it really takes balls to be heading straight into a 30mph 180 degree turn at 130mph and leaving the braking and turning until the last possible second. All while being able to see quite clearly the tire wall and trees off the end of the track coming up fast!

Different strokes for different folks. Some guys like pot, I like the crack pipe!

"opentrackerSteve" said:
You are quite the nut. In your webpage "As a small side project and to enable the outer torque box to be plug welded to the frame rail extension we had to straighten out the frame rail extension from years of jack and jack stand abuse. To access the inside of the extension we cut a slot through the floor and used a 2" x 2" block of steel and a 5lb hammer to straighten out the extension"

I need to do this to my front rails - so I can put in the subframe connector me bets!

It really was pretty easy and a lot quicker than replacing the entire extension.

"opentrackerSteve" said:
Looks like you had much fun and you're making me jealous except for the huge wheels.....

I bet you also hate the way my seat holds me in place and stops me sliding across the bench seat like a fair ground ride! :yah

"opentrackerSteve" said:
How much weight did you add to the car in this mod?

I haven't weighed it since. I don't expect it to of changed much, if anything it probably went up some. All I took out was the carpet and rear seat, then added all that metal and beefed up the roll bar quite a bit.

"Shaun" said:
I bet you also hate the way my seat holds me in place and stops me sliding across the bench seat like a fair ground ride! :yah

That is a nuclear

:kburn

I could smell the brake dust from that video! Good one Bruno :thu

I don't quite understand his downshifting though.

"silverblueBP" said:
I don't quite understand his downshifting though.

I was thinking exactly the same about his downshifting , Mark. !! Its odd in my opinion.

Circuit de Spa Franchorchamp has a great history ( 1921 ) and is located in the Ardennes region of Belgium.

Remember the big battle of the Ardennes in 1944 ?? Thats the place !!

To Shaun

All F1 pilots do like this circuit. In the early days it was about 9 miles long. Nowedys it is 4.75 mls long.

" Eau rouge " is fantastic !! First your stomach is pushed down to your butt , and on top , the road pulls away from the car so you don't have much roadcontact before taking that slight corner to the left.
Appropriate speed is needed as you don't want to end up in the barriers.

Back