• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang

Abe glad to see you're able to start getting some work done. You're right about that extra brace, it's not on the original pan. The strange thing is, I had to replace one pan in my coupe and used a repop. It didn't have that brace either!

Thank you.

Doing everything I can to keep myself busy and productive. The wife and I signed up for the social workers course at foothill college and going to start working on our paralegal/pre law course pre-reqs. The new quarter started yesterday so I have been really excited about the positive momentum. That in turn has really motivated me to work on Fred. I'm hoping to get as many little things done that hopefully add up in the end. Started out the new year with a bang and want to keep the positive momentum going.

Did not have much time this evening, I have yet to get a good read on my neighbors in regards to evening noise so I stopped promptly at 20:00.

Support brace off. First bit of work I have done in a while, what better way to start it off by drilling out spot welds.

IMG_8954.jpg

Once I get the dims and lowering sorted out and finalized, I will scuff up the electro stuff and spray it with some red oxide, I am thinking POR. Who knows.

"cmayna" said:
Abe,
When are we loading Fred onto a trailer? Restoring the heater box has always been one of my more enjoyable projects. Be sure to do a leak test on the new heater core before you install it.

All I can say is,

:shrug

Measure and used tape to mark my cutting line

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg

The cuts

IMG_8956.jpg

IMG_8957.jpg

Test fit the cut pieces

IMG_8959.jpg

The support bracket

IMG_8962.jpg

Doesn't fit as was expected

IMG_8963.jpg

Mr hammer did a fine job for one end of the support bracket

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg

Other side, not so much

IMG_8966.jpg

Made some relief cuts to push the tabs back some with the hammer

IMG_8968.jpg

Calculated that I need to shave just a little bit off the end, hammer back the tabs just a tad and it will work just perfect but 22:00 came around quick and had to shut her down for the night

IMG_8969.jpg

I will use the wire wheel to completely remove the EDP coating where I will be welding, but will also be using the nylon abrasive wheel to scuff up the EDP so I can hit it with some red oxide zero rust for protection, again, excluding the locations where I will be welding the seat pan into place. I will hit it all with the red oxide zero rust after I weld it into place to make sure every inch is protected.

Got to working in the garage after work. Funny how that works

Finished welding one side of the seat platform, came out really really good with the exception of a few spots where I restarted welding due to stopping and jumping around to reduce heat. Penetration was great, I really missed watching one layer of steel melt into the other while adding material.

DSC_4278.jpg

The penetration

DSC_4279.jpg

As you can see where I would restart welding again it would build up a little, need to practice that start stop relocate restart some more

DSC_4282.jpg

Oh yeah, couldn't start on the other side of the platform because I ran out of gas. Go figure. BLAW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice welds Abe! You've come a long way in a short time! I traded up a couple of tank sizes last time I ran out of gas. You always seem to run out in the evening or on a Sunday when you cant get more.....

Looking great Abe. :thu

As Ryan said, if you have a smaller bottle, you may want to get a larger one. When I got my welder I figured out the size I wanted based on using friends welders with small bottles. The size I really wanted was just a little too pricey (80cf). I "settled" on getting a 60cf bottle and was just saving my pennies. Then I found a seller on Ebay that is actually a Praxair dealer. I found the 80cf bottle I wanted and IIRC I paid $150 for it (with free shipping!). I also have no problems getting it filled. Here's a link to the seller's store page on Ebay if you're ever interested:

http://stores.ebay.com/GTSWelds-Welding ... ply?_rdc=1

Btw, prices have gone up a little, but they're still pretty good. Keep up the great work!

Looks great Abe! Your welding has come a long way in a short amount of time.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I really enjoy welding and practicing, have to thank my teacher John D and Craig M for my solid foundation.

I definitely have to upgrade to a bigger tank. I started out originally with a 20 and move to the 40 that I currently have. Might have to save up and make the move to a 60 soon and find some other stuff to work on as I do.

Time to get back to the heater box. LoL.

Huge update, can't speak about the details here but after much sacrifice and work, a ton of support from family(I consider friends and yes most of you here on the forum as family). We were able to obtain a reasonable custody arrangement which allowed us to bring Stefan to Nor-Cal and meet some of his cousins aunts and uncles for the very first time.

It had been a long long time since the last time Stefan saw Fred and when he did he was soo excited and couldn't stop asking me to work on it and fix it so we can go for a ride. He asked me if we can make it a race car with a race engine, paint it blue with 95 on the doors(like lightning mcqueen) and put a super charger on it. On Sunday I helped my dad with the brake job on the family Honda, with Stefan supervising of course. After we were done with the brake job he said he wanted to help work on Fred, so I handed him a brush, he grabbed the first thing he could carry from the parts rack and started working away. I swear I almost cried, he is a great kid, I'm so happy he is back in our lives and I can be more of the dad I have always wanted to be.

Here are some pics

eb1db4ef.jpg

1db0d307.jpg

ain't that a motivation Abe ??? great kid !!
Think ; you and Stefan, together driving Fred , driving that road into the hills in a blue #95 lightning mcfreen !! :yah :yah

Almost made me cry reading your good news! I am such a softy when it comes to kids.

Congrats Abe. Of all the people in this world you deserve it!

Mel

Great news Abe!! I'm sure that's a giant load off your shoulders. Now you can get on with life and build the Mustang.

Back