• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang

Its like brand spanking new and I paid 150 for it, half of what HF sells them for.

It was nice to take the drive up there, have breakfast and do some photography so I really didnt mind the drive from Union City.

That looks like my youngest daughter and I. I remember one of the first times we worked on the mustang together. I think she went through a bottle of glass cleaner because we couldn't work on it because it was too dusty. Since then she has helped me quite a bit. She even sanded most of a fender for me. Good luck!!!

Ryan

FYI that is my son. LoL I'm just kidding I know exactly what you meant.

So I have been doing some little things here and there on Fred, trying not to let life get to busy that Fred is overlooked.

Mostly I have been looking over a lot of books and magazines and online resources on what to do next kind of thing. A light bulb went off and I remembered that I still have a lot still left to disassemble. So I got off my behind and started in the trunk area.

IMG_7190.jpg

I decided to remove the fuel tank. A few things that slowed me down a little, was trying to disconnect the rubber hose that connects the fuel line to the gas tank (I ended up cutting it and decided I would just replace it since it looked pretty dry and cracked.).

IMG_7197.jpg

The next thing that gave me a little grief was dealing with all those rusted nasty bolts holding the fuel tank to the trunk floor pan. After I got all the bolts off it was smooth sailing getting that bad boy out.

IMG_7194.jpg

The nastiness hidding in the fuel filler area was really something that I could have lived without. Thanks to some great creative thinking and designing I will be replacing my stock fuel filler with one of Craig's (tarafeid1) modified beauties.

IMG_7199.jpg

IMG_7201.jpg

IMG_7198.jpg

More soon to come. I am motivated like no ones business.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was originally taking Fred apart, I started with the front end.

I did not completely take apart the grill to head lamp extensions, just removed it as one long piece. I for some reason never thought about anything being wrong with it, but as I have been reading and reading I figured I better check the head lamp extensions. So I decided to take it apart completely and look-E look-E. Cracked supports for the head lamp extensions. Blaw!!!

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg

I have been reading a lot of folks talking about how the re-pros really don't align very well or re-pros exploding into a couple of pieces for no explained reason, so I figured I better try and find some original used ones.

I checked craigslist, I checked eBay, I checked the local mustang shops and finally found a DS head lamp extension on eBay which I so stressfully won for 62 bucks. Not bad!

608a11bb.jpg

Now I need to find a PS head lamp extension. One down one to go. I figured I better start replacing things as I find out they cannot be reused as opposed to my initial plan of just throwing everything away and replacing them as I find things missing putting Fred back together. (horrible idea, just horrible)

Why would anyone cut these holes in the grill? Just curious, wondering if anyone out there has any clue.

IMG_7243.jpg

So the other day I was looking at the floor pans to start trying to plan my angle grinder massacre. I noticed that the brake lines and the exhaust are mounted a little too close to the area that I would be hacking and figured they need to be removed anyways.

So I started off trying to remove the exhaust from the manifold and it didn't really go to well. I soaked everything with WD40 for about four hours and I couldn't get enough leverage to get things moving.

Guess what was in the way? Yup yup, the hood hinges. LoL! So I decided it was time to remove those, not sure why I didn't do it when I first removed the hood. Oh well. They came off without a fuss but I used WD40 anyways just to ensure smooth removal.

IMG_7274.jpg

It actually visually made a difference removing them, it made me more determined to get my goal for the day done.

IMG_7275.jpg

I was now ready to attack.

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

Once I finally got that out of the way I started working my way back to remove all the supports. I only found two and was able to release the rusty smog snake. LoL!

IMG_7288.jpg

Once I removed both rear support brackets I was able to carefully work the rusty smog snake out.

DSC_2719.jpg

Only the DS was removed but the PS will follow soon, and hopefully as smooth as the DS.

So I went back out to the garage to get into some trouble with Fred again. I figured I would remove the PS exhaust so I can feel like I accomplished something. LoL

Here is that nasty thing.

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7353.jpg

So I have a question for all of you, what do you do when you remove something and you are going to replace it? Do you scrap it before you replace it, wait until its replaced to toss it, or do you hang on to it even after you have replaced it? What factors determine whether to toss something or to hang on to it? I don't have a tone of space but things like the exhaust do take up some room.

Another example regarding my scraping question.

IMG_7357.jpg

Actually, looking at the photograph they look very different. I guess I will have to look into it tomorrow.

I liked to keep the parts until the new was mounted and functional. You never know when you might miss a screw, nut plate or some critical, small piece. Also, it is nice to have the original for matching the new with. Then again, some things are not needed such as the exhaust you removed as long as you know you need nothing from it

"AzPete" said:
I liked to keep the parts until the new was mounted and functional. You never know when you might miss a screw, nut plate or some critical, small piece. Also, it is nice to have the original for matching the new with. Then again, some things are not needed such as the exhaust you removed as long as you know you need nothing from it

Thank you for the advice, I guess I will start looking into some storage tricks so I don't throw anything away until its all over. Come to think of it I might cut off the brackets from the exhaust before I recycle them just in case.

So I was a little too tired to type this up last night and upload the photographs.

As I was sitting in my garage late last night pondering what to do to Fred next, I heard a bunch of sounds that reminded me of climbing a wooden fence. What can I say, I'm Mexican and yes, just by the sound I can tell you that it was a pine fence with about 3/8" thick boards. LoL :lol Any who, I decided to sneak out of the garage to find out what was going on. :scar Due to the economy and what not, my next door neighbor had to just move out due to not being able to make the mortgage payments, the house has been empty for about five months now. The folks renting the place next to them are wannabe thugs that smoke pot all day with his fifteen wannabe thug friends. I haven't found out the details yet but I guess I will be finding out soon if it was one of them. I phoned the police, grabbed my _______ and took a seat in the darkness of the backyard (where I would have a advantage of course) hoping they wouldn't make the stupid decision to jump into my yard. The police came and actually blocked off the area before proceeding to make any signs of their presence made, I let them into my yard through the garage and they jumped over the wanna be thugs fence since no one would answer their door. (I was actually impressed.) Once the perp noticed the police had arrived he/she jumped back over the fence and they took him/her into custody.

Now that that was over with, I got back to my thinking step ladder to get back to my pondering. I figured I should once and for all remove the hood latch brace.

IMG_7470.jpg

Next step was to start removing some of the things that are bolted to the interior of the engine compartment.

IMG_7415.jpg

I couldn't for the life of me find any information as to what the heck this mushroom shapped thing was. I know it has something to do with the electrical but that's about it. It wasn't hooked up to anything other than being bolted to the inner DS apron.

IMG_7417.jpg

So I removed the weird mushroom thing, the washer fluid reservoir, the voltage regulator, the starter solenoid and the hood latch support brace. Not much, but it was something and then I got really sleepy. Oh yeah, and I labeled some of my wire ends to make sure I knew what they went to for later.

Question for you all, not sure if you can really see it in the photograph but do you just cut those rubber grommets that keep the wiring in place? For example, the ones for the horns in the radiator support?

IMG_7481.jpg

All the wet surfaces are from the WD-40, I get a little spray happy especially having broke one of the bolts off in the PS front frame rail that I have yet to extract when I first got Fred home.

Watch yourself out there Abe. Thats some crazy stuff happening around you.

IMO, Ditch the WD40, Its a good lubricant, but not very good as a penetrating oil. You will have better luck with PB Blaster, or SeaFoam.

Yep, cut the things holding the wire to the body panels....new straps are out there. As for that mushroom thing....it looks like an old style horn. Might try grounding the case and momentarily applying power...might scare the bejeesas out of you.

"lethal289" said:

IMO, Ditch the WD40, Its a good lubricant, but not very good as a penetrating oil. You will have better luck with PB Blaster, or SeaFoam.

No kidding, wouldnt it be nice if I can have one nice good chill month. I really hope next month is the month absolutely nothing seemingly bad happens. LoL!

Thanks for the tip, I will have to look around to see if anyone sells PB Blaster anywhere, I have seen a PBJ Blaster, as yummy as that was, it was really messy. LoL

"AzPete" said:
Yep, cut the things holding the wire to the body panels....new straps are out there. As for that mushroom thing....it looks like an old style horn. Might try grounding the case and momentarily applying power...might scare the bejeesas out of you.

Thanks Pete, I did end up cutting the plastic straps last night after locating the replacements in the NPD catalog. The rubber grommets after some advice from Jeff came out without too much fuss. I grabbed a hair blow dryer, set it to low, warmed up the grommet just a little bit and was able to push them through with a flat head screw driver. I am definitely looking forward to finding out what that thing is but I'm sure your right, it does resemble a old horn.

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
I think he's talking about the rubber grommets in the holes in the sheet metal.

Frank

Your absolutely right Frank.

Thank you for the clarification, I need to be more clear in my posts.

I met up with Jeff at the Boston Market Cruise In in Santa Clara yesterday and we started talking about our projects, and we decided it was time for me to light a fire under my a$$ and get the car ready to take the engine and transmission out. He was also nice enough to donate a 65 66 front bumper for Fred, as well as give me some tips on how to overcome some minor little speed bumps in regards to removing the underhood wiring. The suggestion was to heat the grommets a little and push them through, so I went through all the bathrooms and found a hair blow dryer, warmed up the rubber grommets and pushed them through with a flat head screwdriver. I was able to pull the wiring through all the way to the firewall but was unable to figure out how to disconnect the connector. I really wanted to remove the underhood harness but I was getting a little sleepy due to the fact that it was 00:30 and it had been a pretty busy day, any one have any ideas how to disconnect it?

DSC_2807.jpg

Here is a pic of the harness. Unfortunately while pulling the harness through the crossmember, all my labels for the PS of the harness were removed. Totally sucks.

DSC_2808.jpg

Good evening to all, LoL! So yesterday I was at the BM Cruise In in Santa Clara, today I made it to the Elio's Cruise In and hung out with Mike Garner and was able to meet Stan and James from BAMA. I had mentioned to Mike in regards to my electrical harness connector problem at the firewall, he asked James my same question and he was very kind enough to explain that you just pull on the darn thing until it disconnects. Who would have thought it could really be that simple. LoL! :craz Finally got all the electrical out of the engine compartment.

"lethal289" said:

Thank you for the suggestion in the penetrating oil category, I recently picked some PB Blaster up and it really works great. :vic

It seems as though we have set a date of May 1st to pull Fred's engine and transmission, I have been trying to keep focused and busy on Fred lately to be ready for everyone, and have received a lot of good advice that I have been taking seriously.

First I stopped at the Kragen in Los Gatos by my work and found some PB Blast as previously mentioned.
IMG_7502.jpg

Secondly, the battery tray was really bugging me, I had ignored it because of a stripped nut and being lazy. I decided it was time so I had to hand saw the bolt off which was no fun due to the angle I had to come at it from. It did feel good to finally remove it and get it out of the way. Now I was able to see the full extent of the damage under the battery tray, not too bad but I could have done without the problem.
IMG_7503.jpg

Now it was time to take John's advice and remove all the pulleys to facilitate engine removal. I hit up all the bolts involved with some PB blast and let it soak for a little bit while I prepared some labeled glad bags for all the bolts I was going to be removing. I removed the alternator, water pump, and flywheel pulley(which was no fun due to rusty bolts and the pulley turning everytime I put some torque on them).
IMG_7517.jpg

I also disconnected the fuel pump from the main fuel line and looked around underneath Fred some more to see what else needs to be disconnected. FUN FUN FUN!

Back