• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang

Throttle linkage out of the way....it always seems to hang up at the worst moment and get modified. Did you get that ground strap at the back passenger corner? Get the oil filter out of the way too and are the mount bolts soaking in the PB....?

"AzPete" said:
Throttle linkage out of the way....it always seems to hang up at the worst moment and get modified. Did you get that ground strap at the back passenger corner? Get the oil filter out of the way too and are the mount bolts soaking in the PB....?

Thank you for the info, I will add the throttle linkage to the list along with the oil filter. The engine mount bolts were doused in PB on the 12th and I will make sure and hit them up again this Sunday. On the 12th I had to remove the PS engine mount bolt closest to the firewall in order to remove what seemed to be a ground wire and the engine moved enough to no longer be able to screw it back in. The bolt came out without a fuss, so it seems as though PB is getting the job done.

After a wonderfull weekend with my son and hanging out with a lot of the California StangFix crew, it's back to the daily grind and moving forward on preparing for the engine pull.

It's this Saturday, Ahhhhh!

It was about 23:00 when I started on Fred last night and was okay with where things are at, sort of. I removed the throttle linkage, the carburetor and was finally able to get around to disconnecting that ground strap that runs from the PS firewall to the block.

ada2c791.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"crustycurmudgeon" said:
Do you have time to drain the oil/sludge and remove the filter?

Frank

I actually drained the oil about the second day I brought Fred home, I should check again so I can remove the oil filter, thanks for the reminder Frank.

I also need to drain the transmission oil tonight. Fun Fun Fun.

Yesterday I spent some time doing some research online in regards to bolt sizes as a back up plan, in case we need to lift the block near the heads. I went down to HomeDepot, I couldn't make much sense of the way they labeled the bolts and the Grade 8 selection was minuscule. I decided to head back towards work to the Ace Hardware store, I must say, I am really starting to like that place. Through my research I found out that the bolts are 3/8"-16, so I purchased a pair 2-1/2" long and another at 3-1/2" long along with some large washers to ensure the chain doesn't slide off the bolts. I test fit the bolts when I got home and it works perfectly, so I think.

6657d338.jpg

d34b6b04.jpg

I looked everywhere for our oil filter removal tool and couldn't find it, I tried using rubber lined gloves for grip, I tried using a really thick rubber hose wrapped around it to help twist, but it refused to budge. I might go pick up the tool after work today to try and get her done. BLAW!

IMG_2843.jpg

While I had oil on the mind I remembered to drain the transmission oil. Grabbed a crescent wrench, a bucket and out came all the pretty but so nasty oil.

IMG_2831.jpg

Getting extremely close to being ready and excited for Saturday.

A strap wrench works pretty well. In the past, I've had good luck hammering a long screwdriver through the side and twisting it off with that. As long as it's not TOO tight.

Frank

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
A strap wrench works pretty well. In the past, I've had good luck hammering a long screwdriver through the side and twisting it off with that. As long as it's not TOO tight.

Frank

I took your advice, probably the option that I should have done last I tried first, but it worked. LoL! Oil filter is now off, wuwhoo.

Last night was another busy night for me, got started around 22:00. it was a long day at work so I was pretty tired but the work has to get done, Fred needs to be ready for Sat.

So, here we go, since the engine hoist will be here I fitted the "beast" with some grade 8 bolts to place it in the engine stand for the work that needs to be done to it.

IMG_2848.jpg

After that was out of the way I got started with removing the driveline now that most of the trans fluid had been drained. It went pretty smoothly, removed four nuts from the driveline to yoke, pulled out slightly on the U shapped bolt that the nuts were holding in place and it was finally released. Once the driveline was disconnected from the rear it slid right out of the transmission with ease.

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

I almost forgot to mention that I had purchased some rocker panel moldings from rustyred, it was almost like a gift if you compare it to what others are selling originals for. Here is a photo of them.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sorry, I went to lunch and was going to finish posting the photographs when I got back but you beat me to it. LoL! :lol :lol :lol I have no need for the 2x4 for I cant get myself to toss it.

Continued from previous post. :beat

I almost forgot to mention that I had purchased some rocker panel moldings from "RustyRed", it was almost like a gift if you compare it to what others are selling originals for. Here is a photo of them.

IMG_2855.jpg

Now it was back to the engine compartment. It took me a minute to figure out that the nut underneath the cowl to shocktower brace was not welded to the brace itself. :doh So I grabbed my extra wrench and 9/16 socket and went to town. I have to say, I am a huge fan of PB blaster. :10

IMG_2860.jpg

I took Franks advice, well, the one that sounded the most fun. I took the strongest screwdriver I had and hammered it through the oil filter and was able to get that darn thing off. Thanks Frank, I was able to get out some Fred aggression out on the oil filter. :nk

IMG_2862.jpg

Fred is almost ready, tonight will be another busy night trying to get some more things squared away for tomorrow. Going grocery shopping for tomorrow after work, I hope I don't eat all the goodies before tomorrow.

Are you a student of the Michael Jackson school of auto repair? I usually wear both gloves when I work on mine...... Just giving you crap Abe, your showing some great progress, keep it going.

"Fast68back" said:
Are you a student of the Michael Jackson school of auto repair? I usually wear both gloves when I work on mine...... Just giving you crap Abe, your showing some great progress, keep it going.

That's too funny. I laughed out loud and everyone around me just looked at me all crazy, I couldnt help it.

I didnt want to get the camera dirty and the glove was actually holding the camera in the best angle that I could get, reason for the blackout at the bottom of the photo.

Thank you for the encouragement, it really helps me stay motivated.

Much more and you will have to pick the engine off the floor.......looking good for sure.

"AzPete" said:
Much more and you will have to pick the engine off the floor.......looking good for sure.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, it really does go a long way.

Copied over from the event thread.

"Well, todays engine/trans pull went very very well. A huge thanks to Craig, Frank, Jeff, John and Mike for lending me a hand, tools and knowledge. Hope you all had a good time.

Until the next time."

"Here are some pics from the event."

Mike, Jeff and myself trying to figure out the best point of attack

IMG_2864.jpg

PHOTO CAPTION TIME

IMG_2865.jpg

Craig was extremely nice enough to meet Fred's road grime, once emerged Mike helped him out picking it off

IMG_2867.jpg

Its out its out. Whooray

IMG_2870.jpg

John, Mankini wearing waldopro and Jeff

IMG_2872.jpg

Once we had the engine out the guys were able to identify the motor. The identification stamp revealed that its a 302 from 1974, totally not what the PO had said when I bought Fred from him. I don't totally blame the PO due to the fact that I knew nothing about engine identification, Mustangs and didn't do any research at all. My fault.

Craig has offered me Shag's original engine for Fred which is really cool, especially since it came out of a 60's Mustang. I know it doesn't matter but I guess to me it does. I want to learn some general information on engines, so Sunday night I decided that I could probably learn a lot just by tearing down Fred's engine.

I started with the exhaust manifold, the ports for the exhaust manifold I felt were very small, I'm sure they are the same dimensions as the ones on the 351 but I cant really say too much since I don't really know much about anything.

IMG_2899.jpg

Next I removed the valve cover which revealed a whole lot of nasty. I had to knock off the valve cover with a rubber hammer and it almost seemes as though they glued the valve cover onto the heads with this thick nasty goop.

IMG_2896.jpg

The oil covering the springs and what not is very thick and dirty, by dirty I mean very clumpy almost sludge like. I removed a valve cover from the 351 so I could compare and the oil covering the springs is very smooth and clean. I think Fred's engine was neglected and pushed very hard.

IMG_2901.jpg

Even after removing all the bolts that hold down the heads to the block I cant seem to separate the two. I am assuming I might need to remove the intake manifold first, so that is what I will do tonight. I guess we shall see what happens, so far I have learned a little bit as I am looking up the component names as I am encountering them which I hope will help me not sound like a complete idiot. (I know I know, hanging myself with that one.)

Looks rode hard and put up wet......

Pull the distributor for ease of working before the intake. Intake must come off to get the heads off. Any prying you have to do is done gently also.

That is the way to learn.....tear it down and ask questions.

"AzPete" said:
Looks rode hard and put up wet......

Pull the distributor for ease of working before the intake. Intake must come off to get the heads off. Any prying you have to do is done gently also.

That is the way to learn.....tear it down and ask questions.

Right on, thanks Pete. I tried to wiggle them off just with my hands, without any prying and then kind of had a feeling that the intake might have something to do with it. I will most definitely remove the distributor first thing when I get home followed by the intake.

Be careful that the heads don't pop off and fall to the floor. Put a couple of head bolts back in a few threads until the heads are broken free.

Frank

Back