• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Sellers lies....

AzPete

and such. I went and looked at this car today. http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/874098243.html as a possible purchase. This car is listed all over craigs list in this part of the country. Talked with the seller last night for more than 40 mins.

Asked about rust, NONE, this was an Az, car 3 years ago---drivers door front corner from under side is rusted away from outer skin. Left fender was in about 1/4" from door aligment and when looked at, bondo was at least that thick.

New paint, not show quality, He says it has a couple of imperfections---hood and trunk have hail dents the size of silver dollars. Interior not sanded prior to paint.

New interior, was replaced 1 year ago according to adds, told me 3 years old---Looked like at least 10 years old. Original stained headliner and pulling loose in rear (he staood there and told me how good the headliner was.

Leaks, he says none anywhere---Only checked the trunk where a "new" headliner in the box was soaked.

New vinyl top---Yea it was, but it was installed with out removing the windows and on the right "A" pillar, there was a 1/4" gap in the material about half way down.

New Chrome---Yea, the tri bar holrse, "289" and Mustang on the fenders. Bumpers were well scratched from cleaning and all interior chrome was original, trashed.

Him and his Dad have been restoring Mustangs for 20+ years according to him. Yea, patch and sell when it looks pretty. Hope it sells before the rust shows thru.

I felt it was worth the drive (200 miles rd. trip) based on his conversation last night. I asked very pointed questions and even stated that I would check everything.

I found all the problems within 10 mins. Wife saw the passenger door was misaligned just walking up to the car. The last item I looked at was the drivers door with the rust. Saw that, told him I was not interested and showed him why, he said he had not seen that rust before, and he walked inside his house leaving us standing. Guess I pissed him off. Guess that rust grew since 8pm last night.

I know sellers lie, I know I will be to picky, and somewhere the to will meet. This was in the $$ range and style I was looking for I it had been close to his words. We went prepared to buy.

Was a great drive and had fun anyway......

A snake in the grass! The car did look pretty good in the picture, but all cars kind of look good in pictures. But the car was a prospect, a potential 'good deal' or 'good find', and you wouldn't know until you got there and inspected it as you did. At least you had a good time on the way and it wasn't terribly far!

You'll probably just have to buy a rolling chassis and build your own?

What do you really think an exceptional coupe would go for? I mean, one that is in the shape that you were expecting?
dne'

$10.5k for a coupe in the conditions you talk about, in today's economy...... Sorry to think though that there is a sucker out there.

Heck, at least you got out of the house for a nice drive.

Well, here is my look at the next classic I own. I have been playing with them since the '45 Ford pickup I restored in '68 in high school. I have done a lot of cars over the years, each to a different level, some for me, some for others. I am now a bit tired of the full restoration way of life and am looking for a good driver that is not going to be a piece of junk. I am now full time RVing it in life and do not have a workshop outside the door like I had in Az. We sold the last '66 c code coupe we restored for 17,500 which was a sweet deal for us. Now, I know the replacemant will not be as nice as that one was. I would rather not deal with rust or paint issues. Not looking for a show queen. Mechanics can be worked in pretty easy but would like a drive while I fix type set-up. I would prefer to be able to drive it home based on closness within reason.

Ideally, a nice daily driver set-up that I can upgrade items as I feel like it. Don't mind it being down for a couple days for upgrades. It will most likely be a coupe in the '66 year. I like the '68's but for some reason, I keep finding '66's. I know there are plenty out there depending on where I want to drive to get them. I have to balance the wife's dr. appointments with travel restrictions right now. No rush, just looking at all the options I have open. A V8 and air are two things it should have although for the right price, I can add air. Price wise, the last one was about right. Just have to find the right one. Orlando seems to have several prospects.

Now, I am not knocking anyone out there who does the building as I did a lot. It was fun. It is now time for me to change priorities and just right the check. Again, not looking for show, just fun. I do have access to a certain shop that keeps a well stocked fridge so some things will be easier.

So what was so wrong with the last '68 with low mileage that you had? It only needed a bit of TLC more before it became a reliable daily driver. What you just described was exactly what you just sold...am I wrong?

Yes and no on the '68. It had rust and leaks around the rear window. It showed some need of metal replacement from the inside of the trunk, around the window seal. Outside looked good. The holes in the floor were not what I was needing to deal with at the present. There were three spots on the lower right rear quarter and around the side marker that were needing work. Paint was bubbling all around the bottom of the light. Windshield leaked on drivers side. Trunk lip was worse than I originally thought. It would drop small strips of rusted metal when closed hard. Alot of this meant repaint which I would prefer not to do.

I might be a bit to picky but I will keep looking. I learned a bit on looking better on the '68. With every purchase and sale, I learn so the next will be better.

Looking for a classic in or around FL with little need for rust repair or bodywork may not be the best bet. ISince your full time RV'in, I'd roll up the front porch and head west and find a nice rust free version.

Did you ever find a trailer, IIRC, there was a post about one you ordered?

We were looking at rolling up the porch but I finally found the car (66 Coupe) in the condition I want for a price I can live with. Will have pics soon. I did locate an open trailer also. Ordered one, company fell through on how it was optioned so I left it on the trailer lot. It still sits there. I then checked another local lot and they got in another brand and was perfect. I took one home the next day.

Will have pics soon.

Great. This is akin to saying "I have tremendous news that I'd like to share with everybody..... please be patient while I prepare to deliver this news."

:show :show :show :show :show :show :show :show :show :show

Back