• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shag having acupuncture

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I knew some retired stainless steel bicycle spokes would come in handy. Rough fitting of the dashpad before shag goes in for the headliner and glass install, this coming Wed. Still need to trim the pad for the Vin plate. Day of final install I will let the spokes find their hole, snip off the heads of the spokes, slide the trim pieces into place and then one at a time replace the spoke with the trim screw. The spokes were each grounded to a point for easy puncture through the dash pad.

The key issue at this point is to push the pad forward as much as possible BEFORE you poke a hole through the pad. I had to trim both ends of the upper lip of the pad. There was too much.

4_18_07_10_6_29_19.JPG

Decided to cut the spokes after all to see how the trim was going to slide over them.

4_18_07_10_10_45_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

I tried to install my dash pad trim, but I was having such a hard time, I just installed some rubber weather stripping in that spot. It looks ok, and no one seems to notice (or didn't say anything). However, it's not "right".

Thanks for the idea.

Great idea! It still is a PITA to use a screwdriver to drive the screws in with little clearance between the pad and the windshield. A 10 to 14" long screwdriver would be so slick...

I had to trim my dash pad as well. I too trimmed it out and test fit with the windshield out, makes the process of checking the fit so much easier.

What I did different was to cut out little notches at each of the screw holes. Cut the notch back far enough to be able to get the screw into the hole, but not so far back that the trim won't cover the notch. When I went to install the trim, I was able to either fire the screw right down into the hole, or if I couldn't find it, I could see the hole with a flashlight through the screw hole in the trim.

Back