• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shag's got 3pt seat belts

"gtscode" said:
I wasn't going to say anything but I agree, people had enough of a fit when Frank riveted a plate in place

Justin, I was thinking the EXACT same thing! :lol

Craig, the bolt does have a shoulder on it and the hole in the roof in front of the nut plate is small enough that it's sandwiched between the bolt's shoulder and the nut plate. That plate won't move around if the rivets fail. As long as the bolt stays tight.

Frank

"cmayna" said:
Frank,
Yes you are probably right. But a J nut? yeow!

index.php

I will guarantee you could roll that car a dozen times and that j-nut would still be in place. I will get you a picture of the factory 68 set so you can compare. Remember the hole is already cut out for the anchor,and the 68 set up wasn't any better. Rich.

Rich,

Yes, I think maybe a picture would help. It's not the anchor point that concerns me, it's the strength of the threads in the jnut...most jnuts I've worked with are not what I'd consider "High Grade" threading. JNuts aren't graded, right? For me, anything less than grade8 attaching hardware on seat belts isn't up to par. But that's just my opinion. I may also be at a disadvantage having only worked on a 66, and I know that even with the reinforcing plate I put in there, I am not sure how the factory sheetmetal is going to hold. So I can't visualize how a J-Nut would work in a 67-68 car.

I generally believe that we all make choices with our cars safety that's a compromise. At the end of the day, these things aren't engineered up to the specs that even modern Kia's are, with crumplezones and the like...Some people mount their shoulder points right behind the front door. Some people say that's too low and will risk spinal compression. My attitude has always been that short of crash testing your car (which would be a little difficult since we don't mass produce these things) you are just doing your best guess, and every builder takes his own (and his passengers) life into his own hands, hoping his best is good enough.

But when I see something that is patently unsafe (like Nick's poorly tacked in "cosmetic" roll bar), I believe in saying "You know, that could kill someone." And yes, I'm frankly a little concerned about J-Nuts for the third point. But if you're confident in it, there's nothing else for me to say. You, no doubt, know a lot more about building mustangs than I do (since I haven't completed one yet) but I shared the concerns of the other members here.

Keep in mind there is three layers of metal around the j-clip, also I will give you the depth of the 68 factory anchor and the depth of the ones we use which is twice as deep as the 68. Rich.

Back