• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"She could suck the chrome off a bumper"

tarafied1

Have you ever heard that expression? Do you know where "She" is cause it is a PIA to grind this stuff off. Any ideas on stripping chrome from a bumper? I'm using 50 grit and going thru sanding disks like mad and getting no where fast.

I have someone in mind, but have no idea where you might find her...that was a very long time ago.

Maybe an 80 grit flap disc on a grinder?

boy that topic sure draws people in!!!!

I believe the chrome shops chemically strip them but I'm sure you and I don't have access to stuff that harsh. might be able to bribe them into stripping it for you?

Don't know the one you reference but I did know one that could "suck start a Harley"..... As far as the chrome, ask you local chroming shop or powder coating shop to see what they use. Most likely need chemicals or leave it outside in Fl. for a couple months....uncared for.

"daveSanborn" said:
Better yet, 40 grit! I've got some gnarly 40 grit discs....

I have to ask though.... why? Why are we stripping chrome off of a bumper?

That's my question too! If you're going to paint the bumper, all you need to do is scuff the chrome (or at least get rid of the pits). If you're going to re-chrome it, let the big boys do it. If it is pitted enough to get through all the chrome, why not just buy a repro for $100, scuff it and paint it?

BTW, chrome dust is not exactly the healthiest dust around...

I'm going to paint my original bumper to match the car (the chrome is not good but it's straight). I have a repop chrome bumper on the car now. So you say I don't need to get it to the bare steel for paint? I'm not travelling for work this week so I thought I'd start on that but it's taking forever.
I'll wear a mask, thanks Mid. and sorry all for the teaser title... :crazy

No need to go through the chrome and nickel plating. A good scuff and shoot is all that's needed. Well, that and a good wax/degreaser just prior to shooting the paint!

"tarafied1" said:
can I use regular primer on chrome?

What's regular primer?

I would use either 2K or epoxy primer on a bumper. Scuff the poo out of it with 80 grit and throw a nice primer job on it, then block it and prime again. Should be ready to paint by then.

Back