• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

She-Crab Soup?

Laurie S.

Staff member
Anyone here have a good recipe for She-Crab soup? I have some Maryland blue crab and roe on the way to me. I had this in South Carolina about 10 years ago and am still craving it.

I have one you can use that is really for clams, but it would work very well with crab. I have to find it on my other computer.... I'll post it later.

If you don't use it for crab, you can certainly use if for clams or even no seafood at all and just add some veggies.

Mel

Ok Laurie,

Just substitute the crab meat for the clams. You may want to use some clam juice instead of water and if you put the crab shells in there it will also flavor it in a yummy sea food way. I also found the tomato sauce too much and deleted it the second time I used this recipe. i got this recipe from someone here or on VMF not sure.

It is a good one, more of a Rhode Island clam chowder not a Manhattan. I also adapted it for creamy clam chowder and we just can't eat clam chowder anywhere out any more.

2 strips of bacon (cut into 1/4" squares)
1/3 cup chopped onions (cut into 1/4" squares)
16-20 oz of canned chopped clams (about 1 ½ cups, drained w/ juice reserved)
1 cup water
2 cups of potatoes with skin on (cut into 1/2" cubes. I prefer red, the older the better.)
½ cup chopped celery
1 14-16 oz can diced tomatoes (I like Hunt’s)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce (Hunt’s)
2 teaspoons of parsley flakes
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon each of: thyme, garlic powder, cumin and paprika.
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf

In a 4 quart pot cook bacon and onion over medium/med. high heat until bacon just starts to brown. Add clam juice, water, potatoes and celery. Cover and cook until potatoes become tender, about 10-15 min. Remove cover and add all remaining ingredients, stir. Bring to a boil and then simmer until it’s as thick as you prefer. Using older potatoes makes it thicken more, if it gets too thick add a little more water.

Mel

Back