• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shelby drop and lowering spring

Given the opportunity (and budget) OpenTracker Roller Spring Perches are certainly the way to go. With that said, my budget was shot by the time I got to those parts, so I went with the Scott Drake Performance Perches and I am very pleased with the results. I can't compare them to true roller, nor how long they will last relative to the roller perches, but the Drake pieces are a drastic improvement over stock.

I was going to order the drakes but changed last min to the OT ROLLERS. But I do agree with you, on that the drakes parts seems to have really good reviews and for the right price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the opportunity (and budget) OpenTracker Roller Spring Perches are certainly the way to go. With that said, my budget was shot by the time I got to those parts, so I went with the Scott Drake Performance Perches and I am very pleased with the results. I can't compare them to true roller, nor how long they will last relative to the roller perches, but the Drake pieces are a drastic improvement over stock.

if you like do it yourself projects, check out dazecars. they have two different kits for converting stock spring perches to roller perches;

http://www.dazecars.com/dazed/TestDIY.html

http://www.dazecars.com/dazed/TestUnDIY.html

on these you will note two different prices for seemingly the same kit, but the lower priced kit comes unfitted, meaning the bearings dont fit the tubes supplied in the kit, so you get even more work to do.

if you like do it yourself projects, check out dazecars. they have two different kits for converting stock spring perches to roller perches;

on these you will note two different prices for seemingly the same kit, but the lower priced kit comes unfitted, meaning the bearings dont fit the tubes supplied in the kit, so you get even more work to do.

So how difficult is it to: use the spring compressor? And get the spring out. I saw the video on using the correct compressor and using the jack to raise the control arm to assist on compressing the spring, then slowly release the jack. It seems fairly easy, but is there anything I really need to pay attention to?

Not hard at all. Just use a quality tool to compress and hold the spring and it's pretty easy stuff from there. Just respect the power of the compressed spring and be smart about handling it. Never put yourself in harms way kinda thing.

As good as any perch might be, no bushing style can match the performance of the roller version. Ask anyone who has experienced both. It is one upgrade that anyone will notice when done.

Spring compressors are a PITA, but ultimately, not that big of a deal. All I could find locally to borrow was a newer kind with a forked plate at the top and two hooks at the bottom. More difficult to use than the old style 4-hook version. The challenge I ran into was that when the spring was compressed about 70% (100% being enough to remove the spring), the screw started digging into the spring perch/control arm. The fix I found thanks to a YouTube vid was to use a 3 inch section of pipe at the top as a spacer to remove the extra slack in the screw. This makes no sense out of context, but once you get in there you'll get it. Pain in the rear, but do-able.

I do like DIY projects, but I'm a cave man with no welder, so that killed the dream for me.

Not hard at all. Just use a quality tool to compress and hold the spring and it's pretty easy stuff from there. Just respect the power of the compressed spring and be smart about handling it. Never put yourself in harms way kinda thing.

As good as any perch might be, no bushing style can match the performance of the roller version. Ask anyone who has experienced both. It is one upgrade that anyone will notice when done.

Thank you for the info on removing the springs. I did return the my original purchase on the perches and ordered the Roller Type offered by Open track. So I'm looking forward to the upgrade. :)

I do like DIY projects, but I'm a cave man with no welder, so that killed the dream for me.

no problem. you can do everything up to the point of welding it in place, and then take it to a welding shop and have them do the welding.

I was going to order the drakes but changed last min to the OT ROLLERS. But I do agree with you, on that the drakes parts seems to have really good reviews and for the right price!

I have a set of one of John's first batch roller spring perches ( and upper n lower
Arms, Baer negative wedge kit, camber adjusters and strut rods with eyelets (no bushings)) from StreetorTrack and love the whole setup.
Steve

I wonder if I jumped the gun on my parts: would theses be better?

ddcc63a3882e280ce47871d988954c60.jpg

I wonder if I jumped the gun on my parts: would theses be better?

ddcc63a3882e280ce47871d988954c60.jpg

And do people still do the Shelby drop with these?

And it looks like you don't even need perches?

Also I assume people still do the Shelby drop with this set up?

And do people still do the Shelby drop with these?

And it looks like you don't even need perches?

Also I assume people still do the Shelby drop with this set up?

Uhg never mind disregard my previous post about TCP! I just called them and they recommend for me to get the whole package. Hmm 3k don't think so.

Can we back up a minute. What are your plans with the car? I was assuming just the typical classic car stuff. Weekend local drives. Occasional car show, etc. Is there more? Autocross? Full on track days? If you can be honest about your plans it would be a lot easier to offer advice geared more specific to what you are after. We have so far guided you toward a set-up that will make driving it a pleasure rather than an effort and provide performance well above stock and bordering on newer car. If you want more than that it's possible but specific purpose has to be considered and your wallet needs to be deep.

Can we back up a minute. What are your plans with the car? I was assuming just the typical classic car stuff. Weekend local drives. Occasional car show, etc. Is there more? Autocross? Full on track days? If you can be honest about your plans it would be a lot easier to offer advice geared more specific to what you are after. We have so far guided you toward a set-up that will make driving it a pleasure rather than an effort and provide performance well above stock and bordering on newer car. If you want more than that it's possible but specific purpose has to be considered and your wallet needs to be deep.

No racing/no auto cross. Was just looking for better handling and lowered front end. Wallet size: practical for my needs, which I think you guys have directed me in the correct direction.

No racing/no auto cross. Was just looking for better handling and lowered front end. Wallet size: practical for my needs, which I think you guys have directed me in the correct direction.

I think I was just googling to much. And I'm going stop. Lol. I will stick with your suggestions and all the parts are in order. :)

Keep with what you've got ordered. It's essentially what I run on my '67, and I'm very happy with the setup.

I looked into integral coil/shock combinations like that, and eventually discarded the idea as the design doesn't provide any real benefit to the stock design aside from slight spring adjustability. The real benefit comes from moving the lower spring pivot to the LCA, providing increased leverage for both the shock and spring, which allows for better suspension control and tighter tuning. However, converting to a system like this requires quite a bit more money, and while it does provide a significant benefit, the bang-for-the-buck isn't there if you're not corner carving regularly.

Keep with what you've got ordered. It's essentially what I run on my '67, and I'm very happy with the setup.

I looked into integral coil/shock combinations like that, and eventually discarded the idea as the design doesn't provide any real benefit to the stock design aside from slight spring adjustability. The real benefit comes from moving the lower spring pivot to the LCA, providing increased leverage for both the shock and spring, which allows for better suspension control and tighter tuning. However, converting to a system like this requires quite a bit more money, and while it does provide a significant benefit, the bang-for-the-buck isn't there if you're not corner carving regularly.

Thanks for the reassurance!! I'm actually getting pretty excited to get started, can't wait for the parts to come in!

So I went to the local auto store to see what type of spring compressors they have. They have the one below. Is it safer and easier then the single shaft that has
bbf785374bdaad404ee6df5ef7df3536.jpg
4 hooks

Or are these better to use

1b351a45697d5323a04d32c3582a3891.png

looks ok. However, when I did my changeover to rollerized front end, I simply unbolted the shock absorber while the car was on the ground, then jacked it up. I then was able to basically drop the spring out of the car with no compressor needed.

Back