• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shelby drop and lowering spring

Your Mustang looks great. Yes, the image you posted is the camber cam. Caster and toe-in/out also need to be addressed once you get the new UCAs installed.

Your garage is immaculate- how do you do that?

I just keep throwing things out!! Lol
4798285d0ccb45df140f0371ed6e3144.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points thank you. Yes I did the rear shock last week, and it does ride much smoother, not so jerky. Even though I don't really do burns outs, it has a terrible wheel hop (the other reason why I don't do burn outs). But it would be nice to get rid of the wheel hop. I don't have a welder, and most traction bars wants you to weld on a bracket. Any ideas.
Caltracs are sweet and will surely stop the wheel hop. Make sure you have your springs finalized before you buy though. Different brackets based on the type of spring. See my build thread for more details.

Caltracs are sweet and will surely stop the wheel hop. Make sure you have your springs finalized before you buy though. Different brackets based on the type of spring. See my build thread for more details.

I took a front picture of the camber adjustment, and was previously mistaken. It looks like I do have room to adjust the camber negative.

So if that's the case should I still take out one 1/8 shim? Or what I was thinking: Maybe as it sits right now adjust the camber to see if I can get a negative camber? If so do I do it with weight on wheels? And I assume I just loosen the fwd nut, the rotate the back nut/shaft?

Thoughts anyone?

Front view looking aft.
06e87a430b0c682f368588c7a0106d61.jpg

I took a front picture of the camber adjustment, and was previously mistaken. It looks like I do have room to adjust the camber negative.

So if that's the case should I still take out one 1/8 shim? Or what I was thinking: Maybe as it sits right now adjust the camber to see if I can get a negative camber? If so do I do it with weight on wheels? And I assume I just loosen the fwd nut, the rotate the back nut/shaft?

Thoughts anyone?

Front view looking aft.
06e87a430b0c682f368588c7a0106d61.jpg

UPDATE:

Good news I marked the camber adjustment then I Rotated the shaft and was able to get negative camber. Lots lol. I put it back to a near neutral setting (just using a digital level)

So I think "Horseplay" you mention I should just to the alignment myself, and get the alignment tool.

I leaning towards doing that. I'm pretty comfortable with the camber now. The caster seems basic, just loosen and adjust the length.

And the toe you do this separately with a measuring tape? And adjust what is connected to the tie rods on either side? Also does the toe even change with this drop?

So this is the tool. Anything else major I need to know? I figure down the road I will have to by more parts so if I'm able to do own alignment anytime that would be awesome!!

Does anyone else have comments on using this tool?

b8bba792b3cfb83eb73ecbb09c9bc3e0.png

Last edited:
Caster is the more tricky one as there are multiple parts and adjustments involved. Caster is, in very basic terms, determined by how much the top ball joint is moved to the rear as compared to the lower joint. Unequal shimming of the UCA and the strut rod affect it, for example. If you have more shims on the rear UCA bolt you reduce caster. Playing with the shims, however also changes your camber...hence the trickiness.
Toe is the easiest. Once you have everything else set you take measurement of the distance apart of the front of the wheels as compared to the back. You're shooting for about but no more than 1.8" toe in.
I still think you need to pull those wheel spacers and see if you have clearance. If you do, Then get your camber by moving the LCA first. In pics it looks like your wheels stick out a bit farther than ideal

Caster is the more tricky one as there are multiple parts and adjustments involved. Caster is, in very basic terms, determined by how much the top ball joint is moved to the rear as compared to the lower joint. Unequal shimming of the UCA and the strut rod affect it, for example. If you have more shims on the rear UCA bolt you reduce caster. Playing with the shims, however also changes your camber...hence the trickiness.
Toe is the easiest. Once you have everything else set you take measurement of the distance apart of the front of the wheels as compared to the back. You're shooting for about but no more than 1.8" toe in.
I still think you need to pull those wheel spacers and see if you have clearance. If you do, Then get your camber by moving the LCA first. In pics it looks like your wheels stick out a bit farther than ideal

I know you meant 1/8"

I know you meant 1/8"

Hmm,

Playing around with camber the tire now seems slightly more inside. When my new upper control arms comes in, I'll see what happens when I take out the wheel spacer, but I tell ya, that control arms is sure close to the rim. About a 1/4 inch.

So I've only done the right side, funny thing is that my toe seems to be dead on strait(using a tape measure from tread groove to tread grove.

014565d143d892ce8ef29c3282db4549.jpg
93988046511aa980bd4acac82676a001.jpg

Those new pics show where things sit much better. That is really close to the wheel. Your tire position inside the finder lip looks better than in the first.

And you would still be off by 1/16"...sorry.
Are you saying to target 1/16" toe? I don't disagree but setting it up at home with a tape measure that's pretty tight. This is why I wrote it as I did saying about but nor more than 1/8". Better to have a tad more toe in than come up short and have toe out. 1/8" toe in is not going to cause you any problems or wear.

No just poking fun at the math...you said 1.8"', Mark said 1/8", you said you missed it by one keystroke which I assume would be .18" which is 3/16" not 2/16" or 1/8" a difference of 1/16".

My car with the Arning drop is -1 camber, +4 caster, 1/8" TI.

No just poking fun at the math...you said 1.8"', Mark said 1/8", you said you missed it by one keystroke which I assume would be .18" which is 3/16" not 2/16" or 1/8" a difference of 1/16".

My car with the Arning drop is -1 camber, +4 caster, 1/8" TI.

It's ok, he's a little dense.

Edit: A lot dense.

Look at your keyboard. Period right next to / was my reference. Math...noooooo!

Those new pics show where things sit much better. That is really close to the wheel. Your tire position inside the finder lip looks better than in the first.

100% agree!! And that's I thinks is still a slight positive camber.

I won't mess with the camber any more until I get all the parts and do both sides. I think you were right on taking out one 1/8 shim, I'll do the same on the left. I have to put things on hold, going out of town. Uhg. :(

Interesting about the alignment. If my alignment say was perfect before I started, and the drop springs and the arning drop for the 67 is straight down, why would the caster get out of place or the toe?

FYI: I'm obviously a rookie when it comes to stangs/cars.

Stay tuned.

The "drop" is both down and back. It changes a lot of the geometry. Thing is you never knew just exactly what the alignment specs were before you started. I've had experience were I thought I had a good set-up on my truck, it tracked great, etc. but I started to notice uneven tire wear which prompted me to check it out and it was not even close.

Back