• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shelby type rear windows

A

Anonymous

Just trying to inch along. Today I tried to install the Shelby (66) type rear windows. Well not actually install them, but cut the panels and drill the holes so that once the car is painted all I have to do in use a pop rivit gun. The right side went without a hitch but the left side has been an PITA. It seems that the aluminum does'nt fit very well and the interior jam is a little short. It seems that I will have to get out the caulking gun to close the gap when I put these babys in for good. If anyone has any hints or suggestions throw them at me.

any hints or suggestions throw them at me.

Quickly grow another set of hands/arms?

What a PITA this was. Getting the glass and aluminum channel wasn't my problem, it was the interior trim pieces. It seemed I need 4 hands to hold in place (sometimes forcefully), drill holes, and then rivet. I developed NO tricks for this task. Except to tape cardboard to the interior of the plastic "glass" so as not to scratch it with the drill/spinning drill chuck.

I wish you luck....

Yep, I plan on a extra set when I put them in. Do you see any problem in riviting the aluminum pieces (with the plexy) in first and then going back and installing the fiberglass jams. It seems that would be easier that trying to drill and hold both at the same time.

Do you see any problem in riviting the aluminum pieces (with the plexy) in first and then going back and installing the fiberglass jams. It seems that would be easier that trying to drill and hold both at the same time.

Although the instructions directed otherwise, this is exactly what I did.

There was no way in hell that I could hold all of the pieces in the exact spot.... and then drill holes through the FG interior pieces and the aluminum trim simultaneously. After stuggling with them for an hour or two, I decided to rivet the exterior AL trim pieces into place.... and then separately rivet the interior FG pieces. Once I commited to this course of action, the whole job went a LOT easier!

That will be my plan of action. I see no problem in doing so and it will make things easier.

Back