• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

shifter and sport lamp wiring

rayms69

hopefully you can see these wires, there is a black and blue with red stripe coming from the same spot in the wiring harness, dull black one coming from behind the instrument cluster, and a black one coming from the sport lamp switch. Have have tried a few different combos, the 15 amp fuse blows when I put on the turn signals, I thought maybe with sportlamps the fuse needs to be 20 amp. Just figured the pic would help someone to remember how this should be put together.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
I hope this is a 1970 and not a 69 (based upon your name).

Didn't I help you on another forum? There are two basic wires on the sportslamp switch: a gray output line to the sportslamps and a single wire (although I have seen a pair of wires) that is tied to the PRNDL/marker lamp system that originates in the headlamp switch. There are no fuses.

Based upon your picture, there are several wires cut and left open for possible shorts. This is a potential disaster about to happen, and I strongly urge you to stop and reconsider what you are doing. Trial and Error is not good when dealing with electrical systems, as you can cause a major short/fire in less than an minute. Seriously.

I have never recommended this to anyone ( do not like to promote my services on-line), but I believe in your case it is justified. Please consider pulling your entire harness and having it gone through professionally and have it fixed to be plug-n-play. You'll save aggravation and perhaps the entire car.

Respectfully,
Midlife.

yes you helped me on the other forum, I haven't messed with it, its a 70, I was born in 69. Everything works with exception of this issue. Right now the turn signals, sportlamps and light on the prndl are not functioning. 15 amp turn signal is blown. When I replace the fuse the turn signals will work, as long as I don't try messing with those wires.

when I first got the car the sportlamp switch wasn't there, but the black and the blue w/red were connected

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
I see a black/yellow and possibly a blue/red. The blue/red is correct, but the black/yellow is not. Typically, black/yellow is the marker lamps. My schematics show a three wire contact sportslamp connector, but I've only seen two wire versions. Simply remove the black/yellow wire from the system (cover the end in black electrical tape) and use the blue/red and gray wires only.

I have never seen a black/yellow non-power lead inside the main harness except from the headlight switch to the firewall connector.

black with yellow stripe is to the sportlamp switch, in the first pic of the post is correct because my sportlamps work fine, it is just the PRND1 light doesn't work so I started messing with the wires that weren't connected to get the PRND1 light working and I started popping the turn signal fuse. check out this wiring diagram from the boss302 registry, see how the blue/red wire goes to the black wire on the sportlamp switch, this is where I get confused, power is on the black wire coming from the loom next to where the blue/red wire comes out. I need power to the sportlamp switch to turn on the sportlamps. I thought that maybe the blue/red goes to the black on sportlamp switch and the black out of the loom goes to ground. signed cluless

Attachments

• 70Mach1TurnSportLamps.gif
    70Mach1TurnSportLamps.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 28
Tie the PRNDL light to the blue/red wire going to the sportslamp switch. If that blows a fuse (it shouldn't be tied to a fuse...), inspect the console for an internal short.

The lead for the PRNDL light is in the engine compartment: a large female bullet coming out of the grommet containing all of the connectors (wiper, gauges, NSS/BU, A/C if you have that). Should be a blue/red wire.

yes I plugged the leadinto the correct connector in the engine compartment before I put the motor in, from the PRND1 light, when I actuate the turn signal itblows the fuse

Back