• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shifting issues on 4 speed trans

spitse

I have a new to me 65 mustang with a 4 speed standard. I assume it to be a top loader. Not sure if it is a true hurst shifter or not, but it has the shifter knob and handle marked with hurst.

My issue is when I go into reverse and move the vehicle, I am unable to get it it to go into 1st. I have to fiddle a while and then magically it will. I think it works when I shift back into R then back to Neutral, release clutch and then to 1st.

I’m new to the older ford standards (last classic mustang was an auto) and have read they are a bit cantankerous. Is this a sign of something bad or need of adjustment or what? I kind of want an idea if I take to a transmission shop what it might be so I am not taken advantage of. Or if this is something I could fix easily at home.

I need to update my profile but the car is a 65 “A” code standard with a 351w transplant. I don’t know much more than that as the door tag is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a new to me 65 mustang with a 4 speed standard. I assume it to be a top loader. Not sure if it is a true hurst shifter or not, but it has the shifter knob and handle marked with hurst.

My issue is when I go into reverse and move the vehicle, I am unable to get it it to go into 1st. I have to fiddle a while and then magically it will. I think it works when I shift back into R then back to Neutral, release clutch and then to 1st.

I’m new to the older ford standards (last classic mustang was an auto) and have read they are a bit cantankerous. Is this a sign of something bad or need of adjustment or what? I kind of want an idea if I take to a transmission shop what it might be so I am not taken advantage of. Or if this is something I could fix easily at home.

I need to update my profile but the car is a 65 “A” code standard with a 351w transplant. I don’t know much more than that as the door tag is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The top loader is called that because you access the gears, etc from the top of the tranny versus the side, but first contact Hurst n get instructions on adjusting the linkage

First inspect your linkage, there are bushings on the rod ends at both trans and shifter.
Next check for proper adjustment of linkage and shifter levers.

My TL sometimes does the same thing. It has less than a 18 Month Build on it, newly rebuilt Ford shifter, all new bushings, all new linkage, and to my knowledge properly adjusted as it shifts perfectly otherwise. What I have found when coming out of reverse to go into first, is if I push the handle all the way to the right after shifting to neautral, it doesn’t do this. If I don’t do this, typically I will have to put it back in reverse and go back to neautral prior to first. This may or may not be identical to your issue, but worth a try.

I have a toploader with Hurst Comp Plus shifter and I USED to have the same reverse-to-first issue. You need to adjust the linkage and it'll fix your issue. You put the shifter in between the gates (neutral), place a dowel of some kind in the shifter slot from under the car (screwdriver can work too), and then you take off each rod and thread in or out the connector until the connector goes into the middle of its correct shifter hole. You should also adjust your stop limiters on the shifter (those are the two bolts on the front and back of the shifter which limit how far each shift fork travels and prevents damaging the trans). Finally, I had to cut my linkage as many rods had 1-3 inches of excess thread which kept hitting and binding with the shifter.
image.png

I also found that the spring clips included are only partially useful. For me certain shift rods would keep pushing those clips off and leave me stranded. I finally switched all the spring clips out for cotter pins shimmed with a washer to maintain the tightness the spring provides. When I changed out these clips I installed steel bushings as they're supposed to improve your shifts and reduce wear but supposedly transmit additional vibrations through the shifter; I noticed no improvements nor vibrations from these bushings and they're actually quite brittle as a few chipped as I was installing them by hand.
HUU-3327302_xl.jpg

Back