• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shock Tower Reinforcement Kit

Johnny M

Guys....
With Shipping times and costs to Ireland I am going to get a local shop to fabricated the shock tower reinforcement kit for my 67 FB. Does anyone have any pics and/or dimensions of the pieces ?

Thanks guys,

Johnny

Such package weights 13 pounds. If shipped postal international priority, it cost $61.50 and take 6-10 days. Doesn't seem too bad as compared to paying someone to fab such a kit.

"cmayna" said:
Such package weights 13 pounds. If shipped postal international priority, it cost $61.50 and take 6-10 days. Doesn't seem too bad as compared to paying someone to fab such a kit.

True, but don't forget the Irish Government will take a slice too..another 21% Value added tax and up to 10% on Duty.....

Does anyone have any pics and/or dimensions of the pieces ?

Johnny,

The guy (67fastbackshell?) who bought the two UP cars over on the customfastbackCA forum put up some nice pictures of the shock tower reinforcement kit as UP had installed it. From these pictures, a local metal fabricator should be able to get a good idea of what needs to be done.

Have you given any thought to removing the shock towers? For less than the price of a new TCP power R&P, you can buy one of the MII kits that will eliminate the shock towers and install a MII crossmember. My R&C Motorsports kit came with tubular UCA/LCA, spindles, adjustable coilovers, disc brakes, power R&P, tie rods, steering conversion components, etc., etc. for approx. $2700.

"daveSanborn" said:
Does anyone have any pics and/or dimensions of the pieces ?

Johnny,

The guy (67fastbackshell?) who bought the two UP cars over on the customfastbackCA forum put up some nice pictures of the shock tower reinforcement kit as UP had installed it. From these pictures, a local metal fabricator should be able to get a good idea of what needs to be done.

Have you given any thought to removing the shock towers? For less than the price of a new TCP power R&P, you can buy one of the MII kits that will eliminate the shock towers and install a MII crossmember. My R&C Motorsports kit came with tubular UCA/LCA, spindles, adjustable coilovers, disc brakes, power R&P, tie rods, steering conversion components, etc., etc. for approx. $2700.

Interesting thought Dave..... Is this the kit you bought? http://www.rcmotorsports.net/Pg4Link.html

And It would make it easier to change the spark plugs on my 428 too....... :dance

Johnny

Johnny,

Yes, that's the exact kit I bought. With the shock towers removed, you'll have plenty of room for that 428. The only additional thing you'd have to change would be your oil pan. The MII crossmember requires a rear sump oil pan. R&C sells these oil pans for your 428 motor.

This is basically the same as a Heidts kit, but IMO is a better design and it includes everything you'd need.

The MemoryLaneClassics guys are using MII kits on their cars.... aka 427GT500 has this front suspension as will Ollie.

My thoughts on the shock tower reinforcements..... the reinforcements greatly improve a very weak area of the front suspension, but they're only improving the situation, not eliminating it. The MII front suspension eliminates the problem in it's entirety and replaces it with a stronger design/system.

Sounds like the way to go, BUT, if "the Irish Government will take a slice too..another 21% Value added tax and up to 10% on Duty" on the $61 kit, imagine the $2700 kit.....

"Fast68back" said:
Sounds like the way to go, BUT, if "the Irish Government will take a slice too..another 21% Value added tax and up to 10% on Duty" on the $61 kit, imagine the $2700 kit.....

I was going to go with TCP Coilovers, TCP Power R&P and large diameter disk brakes so $2,700 is not too bad at all......

Back