• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So I got this 67, thinking street strip build

I have had this not quite 2 weeks. Almost have the motor teans out, working slow and enjoying the project. Looking at parts. Just trying to come to a build limit so I actually reach the end I am thinking a 10.0 car. Is there a better stopping point? I know safety equipment will play a role, just dont want it to be a pita every time i go drive my car

OK, I'll go first. Number one rule here... :wop

Now for your project. How do you intend to get to this 10 sec goal? NA, boost or nitrous or some combination? Have you ever built a car like this before? Where do you live? What are the track requirements to run that fast? Most places will require some level of cage at that point. You have a budget in mind?

We don't know you yet so tell us a bit about yourself and your car. It will help us to give you some appropriate advise.

No problem. I am going to run fuel injected with a supercharger. Basically I pulled my combo off my fox body and I am going to basically put that in the 67. I had my motor dynode before I pulled it from my fox body it made 402 hp to the rear wheels. Since then I upgraded my supercharger to an Si. I know that I need to at least had the six-point cage rollbar. I am either going to run a C4 or and AOD. I also plan to just buy a 9 inch for the rear and call of the day there. I am basically just trying to follow NHRA rules because the two organizations that I usually look into running with follow those guidelines Which are the PSCA and the NMCA.

The engine is a 302 with Elderbrock heads Steeda number 18 cam, holley intake and 42 pound injectors. Vortech Si with aftercooler. Tuned by Bob Kurgan. Will retune after all together. Will be close to 500. Thinking of going with a Dart 363.

Well, you are going to need to do some serious work if you expect to get into 10 territory. Did you race the Fox and what kind of time did it post? Based on your HP I'm guessing best of high 11's if you had it set up well.

I would plan on throwing some money into the suspension, if you have any hope of meeting your goal. I'd say simplest route is a set of Caltracs to start. You'll need to tie the subframes together and stiffen it all around with a well designed cage. Get the battery out back to aid in weight transfer and a roller front suspension will help with that as well. You may be able to hook with the tires the stock wells allow but a mini-tubing will afford you the luxury of bigger tire that can only help to hook.

As far as motor goes I assume you are running a 302 based engine. Is it bored and stroked? What's the CID? Heads? You need to find a BIG increase in HP to meet your target time. Can the bottom end, etc. handle a large increase in boost? You will undoubtedly need to upgrade the fuel system, start to finish. You may find it better to build it to handle a big shot of nitrous for just those rare times you are at the track. Building a SBF to run 10s and then service as a street car is not an easy ($$$) task.

My buddy runs his 81 Capri with a NA 347, putting out around 500 to the ground (IIRC) and his quickest run is a 10.15ish
It's purpose built and not street-able.

I can get 500 to the wheels on the stock shortblock, but not sure I want to keep it there. So i will likely have it detuned to 475 or so. That is not the issue anyways. I will easily achieve more with the 363. I am really wondering about the suspension. I don't know a lot leaf spring set ups. I know I can for sure be ok with a C-4. I am not sure the weight of the car, so I will need to weigh it. This is a fun project. I have not raced in a while, but I used to have another fox with a 342 w/ afr 185's and a f cam with a performer rpm intake and a 600 carb. Ran 12.02 @ 114 in the 1/4. I have most of the engine, need a short block, trans, rear and wheels, and all the suspension.

Any good places to shop suspension?

Between John at Opentracker and Shaun at Street or Track you can find all you need for the front end for sure.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/

http://www.streetortrack.com/

If you want to go on the cheap out back(avoid a link set-up, etc.) Caltrac bars will do all you need.

http://calvertracing.com/

If you are going to do some serious racing I would recommend you do some welding and bracing of your shock towers too.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/towerkit/

It would also be a good idea to incorporate a brace from your inner cage out to the front rail or tower. These older bodies like to flex and that will cost you in ET. If 10 sec is your goal it will be made or lost in the first 60 ft.

A standard 67 coupe with a V8 had about a 2900 lb curb weight. Mustangs started to get heavier in 67 and just kept getting fatter from then on. You can lighten it up by losing the back seat, etc. but the added steel in subframe connectors and cage will make up and then some for any weight reduction you do. If you have the $$, an aluminum Ford Boss block and heads will trim some good weight.

te9a2aja.jpg
paberegu.jpg
yna5emu4.jpg

I am basically not super serious, and that is why i put this thead up. I wanted to see, because I have never been there before what it might take and cost. On the other hand, i want to drive it on the street. I just am not ready to have a dedicated drag car yet. And if i was, i would use a fox body.

So maybe I need to have a different goal. 11's?

If you are open to suggestion, here's mine.

Start with safety. Go through the shell really well and make sure you don't have any serious rust/rot issues in the floor areas, etc. Invest in an inexpensive front disc conversion kit and lose the jelly jar MC. There are a million options out there for this.

Go through the electrical wiring and correct what are sure to be years worth of amateur hacking and repair anything that has suffered just through age. Upgrade the headlight circuit. LED tail/break lights will probably save you from getting rear ended. Install some better gauges to monitor that new engine.

Now you can get to work on making her go. Getting into the mid 11's and having it serve as a daily street ride is completely doable. If you are thinking 363 you can certainly make reliable, manageable power enough to get you there. Especially if you go power adder. You can skip a cage at that level and get by on subframe connectors and a decent rear suspension set-up like the Caltracs.

"Horseplay" said:
If you are open to suggestion, here's mine.

Start with safety. Go through the shell really well and make sure you don't have any serious rust/rot issues in the floor areas, etc. Invest in an inexpensive front disc conversion kit and lose the jelly jar MC. There are a million options out there for this.

Go through the electrical wiring and correct what are sure to be years worth of amateur hacking and repair anything that has suffered just through age. Upgrade the headlight circuit. LED tail/break lights will probably save you from getting rear ended. Install some better gauges to monitor that new engine.

Now you can get to work on making her go. Getting into the mid 11's and having it serve as a daily street ride is completely doable. If you are thinking 363 you can certainly make reliable, manageable power enough to get you there. Especially if you go power adder. You can skip a cage at that level and get by on subframe connectors and a decent rear suspension set-up like the Caltracs.
thank you very much. This is solid feedback. Definitely open to suggestions. I removed the motor and trans tonight. The wiring was the first thing I started to tackle. Have a ways to go yet. Getting my FI harness tomorrow so I can start to get this thing wired. I love the LED idea. I am game for that. Disc brakes are a for sure thing too. At the same time, starting to sand this thing down to the metal. Going to make real repairs. This is horrible evidence of bondo. I am not a body guy like I am a mechanical guy.

Is it 11.49 where a cage is required? May be I can make that a goal. I wanted a classic so I didnt have to deal with smog. This means i will be able to drive on the street peacefully! Lol

Ok wow, this si the first time I actually logged in with a computer. Never saw some of these pictures before, :homo Anyways I have some pics to post, and it is easier to do it here than on the Iphone,

Here is the motor going into the 67

fox015_zps5e53dc4b.jpg

However, the blower is now a Si and the intake is this

hly-300-72s_w.jpg

Here is the old motor

Saleen002_zpsd6e75e52.jpg

I went to pick up a car this last sunday and got this stuff with it

67coupe001_zps29dcfc11.jpg

67coupe002_zps83123651.jpg

67coupe005_zps4f7d771d.jpg

I plan on going this route with the tank

prd_lg_227.jpg

I am still trying to decide on the tranny, but I do have a couple options. One would be take this cars and use it

Saleen019_zpseb3a17d6.jpg

If I do that I am also considering using the heater/AC. But I also think I might just sell the whole car. :shrug

I really want to just build this into a sweet car with the occasional drag racing. I think later, I will build a dedicated drag car out of a fox.

Merry Christmas Everyone.. I will try to keep everyone updated.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
a2upe8yv.jpg
engine is out. Started cleaning engine bay. Pulled existing up and set out of way. Now just need to clean alot.

For drag racing going to remove front sway bar.

Upgrading front shocks

For a minute i thought about a 351w, but i think i will just run a 302 from a fox and limit the power.

I am going to sell old motor. Maybe I can trade some things for a quality trans lol. I really want to race but it is going to take a minute to build. Guess i will race the Saleen until i finish.

Thanks guys. So now i have been working on the body. Finding a lot of bondo. Think i am going to put a 302 in for now. Hard to just have it sit in the garage.

So I got this good deal on a 302 long block from a 92 Mustang. I am going to use this for the moment and work on getting a trans and eventually the suspension and a 9 inch rear end. I need to get wheels too. Think I will go with Crager or Welds. Hope to buy my fuel tank set up this coming month. I am not sure if there is a classified section I have looked but not found one, but I have the old 289 and trans for sale if anyone is looking for that kind of thing plus a set of H0 302 heads that are rebuilt. Feel free to pm me. Looking for $300 for motor and trans and $200 for heads. Yes i know they can go for more. I like to help fellow mustangers out though. PM me if interested. Looking for a c4 guys. Any pointers? Will post pic of motor later.

Ok been a busy week. Here is the motor so far
e9emepuv.jpg

Here is the engine bay
ze4u4asy.jpg

I have been doing a lot of research. I will be using an 8.8. I Found lots of information that shows me how to do so. I have parts for one here so that is why I am going to do that. I am trying to keep my costs down and get it going. Then after it is going I don't mind doing upgrades as I go. That is part of the fun of owning the car right, well at least for me. I would rather race this car fan race my 06 Saleen, in the 1/4 mile anyways.

yzydere7.jpg

Back