• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So that's why it's leaking oil!

tarafied1

Had a leak on the HRPT this year. Changed the gasket in a hotel parking lot and noticed the VC was cracked. I slathered it with RTV and that seamed to help a bit. Lately it has been leaking pretty bad. Pulled it off yesterday and the whole area is broken off. I put my other VC's back but I am going to try and "braze" this one. they are 71 CJ valve covers I bought from Pete's friend a few years back. I like the way they look.vavle cover broken.jpg engine.jpg

Good luck with the brazing. Make sure you get all the sludge off, you don't and to burn the garage down.

they are 71 CJ valve covers I bought from Pete's friend a few years back. I like the way they look.

Sorry about the valve covers. I had a set years ago that the engine rebuilder ruined by leaving in cleaning solution overnight. I was not happy. Good luck!

Bahhhhh who needs oil?!

I think my valve covers are warped. They just will not quit leaking no matter what I do. I got them temporarily to quit leaking with cork gaskets. Then earlier today, somehow the bolts all loosened and they then threw a quart or two of oil out of the engine all over the engine bay. I blame the valve covers again, though it may have been exacerbated by driving a few hundred miles on rough roads at 75 mph...

^^^^^ Stamped steel valve covers?
Have you pinged the bolts holes so they are even with the other flat areas? This happens when someone over tightens them.

I put my big honking Ford Motorsport Tall valve covers back on and I used FelPro gaskets. Ordinarily I have good luck, these were rubber. But even though they were new, they were not soft at all. I had a leak again (altough small). So I ended up putting the old FelPro gaskates back on. They were still in the trash can, Seams to be okay for now. I still want to fix this CJ VC or find another one.
I don't typically have or see so much trouble from valve covers!

Back