• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So what really happened at the 50th? MCA quarterly already met...

I do have a question for those who might understand the event better.....why was the 'rare cars' indoor display set up like a dungeon? I mean, I could hardly see anything in there. I (or maybe Glenn) asked Charles (Turner) about that and I recall him mentioning something (humorously I guess) about not being able to see the flaws. He was pointing things out on one of the cars he did and I had a hard time seeing anything. Anyway, stuff like that, if I had a 'complaint', would be where it would come from. OTOH, the volunteers manning the registration desk and gates were a real credit to the event.

TBH, I think it's more a personal reflection on how things have changed in general over the decades surrounding automobiles versus any specific people or interactions. Back in the day, one could actually 'run into' Carroll Shelby at such an event and chew the fat with him for a bit. Nowadays everyone seems so business-like and rushed. It's the same in my preferred sport. Back in the day I could (and did) stop by the pits of professional crews/drivers and ask some questions and they'd get under the car with me and explain stuff, ideas which actually found a home on my own race car. Now, it's sound bites and velvet ropes. That's the way it goes I guess.

The 50th anniv show was not very enjoyable to me. I had worked my butt off to get a '64 indy pace car coupe ready for the show and didn't even get to Charlotte until late Thursday night. I did have the '65 K code convertible thoroughbred there inside the rare cars display. I spent very little time around the car, which was also a let down. That was only the 3rd time the car has ever been out in public since I finished it 4 years ago. It never seemed like I could take everything in and enjoy being there. Sorry to Pat and Glenn for being so short, just too much going on and other folks I was there with.

As for the rare cars display, I didn't even hardly look at the other cars. It was very dark in there, but the cost of the tent was already crazy, so I'm sure adding lights would have been even more. In addition to the $150 show registration, I had to pay $390 for the tent spot. What I think is the biggest travesty of all concerning this display is it was about the farthest away of any other display area. There were some very significant cars there and it just boggles my mind that MCA or even Ford would miss an opportunity to include them in a prominent area inside the track. There was plenty of regular parking area inside the track that could have been used.

I will say that there was one very cool moment at the 50th. Which was when the owner of the first '65 shelby street version let my 12yr old son sit in the driver seat. I had met the owner before and we have corresponded via e-mail concerning details about the restoration, so it wasn't like I was a stranger. I was a little shocked when my son said 'can I sit in it?' and without hesitation, Mark opened up the door and said 'Sure!'

Some know that I used to be very involved with MCA. Spent the better part of 10 years going to nearly every show. Gave a lot to the club, only to have everything ruined by one person. Never would have thought it would end so abruptly.

Not sure what I have contributed to this thread, but felt I had to respond.

I just want to add that I DROVE my '67 over 1200 miles to Vegas and back.

That was worth it right there.

So the celebration or lack there-of wasn't so great. Oh well....I just like driving my car.

And I know I didn't need the Mustang 50th to do that but it sure was a grand excuse to take a long drive.

"KBMWRS" said:
I just want to add that I DROVE my '67 over 1200 miles to Vegas and back.

That was worth it right there.

So the celebration or lack there-of wasn't so great. Oh well....I just like driving my car.

And I know I didn't need the Mustang 50th to do that but it sure was a grand excuse to take a long drive.

I think it's awesome you drive that FE all over the west! My dad enjoyed seeing your car and knowing someone still drives 'em.

By the way, the kudos are to your wife for riding in the car with you all the way. :nwort

Back