• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Spacer in front of the Flexplate

bht911sc

Hello , been working on my 68 fastback project for awhile and I am nearing the home strech.. I installed a 408 ci/ C-4 combo after removing the og 289ci.. I noticed (after the motor was installed) there was a spacer stuck on the 289 crank, I do not have one on the 408??!! Has anyone had any experience with this? I am hoping I dont have to pull the trans Back down...??

You mean there's no spacer between the flexplate and the block ? Was there one when you removed the 289 ?

If you're talking about the flange thats part of the crank itself then don't worry about it. Your aftermarket crank wouldn't have that flange since its made to universally fit older and newer blocks.

Robert

If, however, you're talking about the ring that's basically a giant washer with 6 holes in it, that should go on the flexplate AFTER it's put on the crankshaft. It goes under the bolts to spread the load. Without it, your flexplate will likely crack around the boltholes.

Frank

Back