• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Spark Plug Wire Crimp on Connectors Question

68stang289

I switched from an Accel Distributor/Mallory Coil to a full on Pertronix Flamerthrower III setup. The old setup used a female/male coil wire and the new setup uses a male/male coil wire. I picked up a replacement coil wire from Taylor to match my other wires, but it came with both HEI-style and regular socket-style connectors so you can match what you need. Having never put together a spark plug/coil wire before, I wanted to make sure I had it right.

I have slid the correct boots (already test fitted on the coil and cap) over the wires so that approximately 3-4 inches is exposed past the boots. To complete the job, I need to strip the wire to the center core, fold that center core back and over the non-exposed wire, and then crimp the socket-style connector around the wire and center core correct? I can post up some pictures of what I'm talking about if that would be helpful. Thanks!

Usually the center core is folded back and crimped between the insulation and the socket connector

There is a tool for it but I've just used pliers with good results.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

It looks like Taylor gives you the wire lengths for their race fit wires...
[pdf]http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/pdfs/TaylorRaceFitGuide.pdf[/pdf]

I'm surprised they don't include the crimping tool. The MSD street fire wires I got for another project comes with the crimping tool that you set in a vice... real easy to use and provides a good solid crimp.

"stangg" said:
It looks like Taylor gives you the wire lengths for their race fit wires...
[pdf]http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/pdfs/TaylorRaceFitGuide.pdf[/pdf]

I'm surprised they don't include the crimping tool. The MSD street fire wires I got for another project comes with the crimping tool that you set in a vice... real easy to use and provides a good solid crimp.

I think if you buy the whole set of wires (8 + the coil) that it comes with the crimping tool. I just bought a single replacement coil wire so that's probably why it didn't come with the tool.

Yes, if you buy the kit, the crimper comes with it. Still have my set in the garage.

"silverblueBP" said:
Yes, if you buy the kit, the crimper comes with it. Still have my set in the garage.

Things must have changed. I have bought a couple sets of Taylor "409" wires over the years. And neither set had any crimpers included in the kit. I had to buy the crimpers separately.

Luckily my dad ended up having the correct crimper in his garage from many years ago. Worked great and was super easy (once you know what you're doing). Thanks for the help guys!

Back