• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Speakin of bump pads

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
What year(s) did the bump pad come in? I thought Shag would have had one but there is only a single hole above glovebox opening and I think the bump pad uses 3 holes? Not that I plan to have one in the car, I was simply more curious.

As I understand it, the bump pad was a '68 piece that came on line during the model year run. Some cars will have it, some won't. You're right, one hole is not nearly enough... there should be at least 3-4 more.

I believe the same applies for the A pillar pads, some had them and some didnt. Perhaps it was part of the interior decor group.
According to the Dallas Mustang ad, it was available for both 67-68

http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/products.php?category=&group=&family=&product=1948

0001948.jpg

Thanks Rick, I think Shag came with A pillar pads, but was thinking to not install new ones and instead fill the holes. Can't say I like them. Do you / will you put them in yours?

Actually, the pillar pads and knee pads were deleted as a cost saving measure early in 1968 after the strike ended.

I bought a set of pillar pads thinking I would put them in and ending up returning them as they fit like doo doo. My dash looks sooo nice after they painted it, I dont want to take away from the paint with the knee pad, it doesnt do anything for me......

But Rick, You have always preached how Knee Pads have taken you so far along in life :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My dash looks sooo nice after they painted it, I dont want to take away from the paint

What will you do about the 4 holes from where the pads would've attached? How will you trim out the edge of the headliner where it normally would have been hidden under the pillar pad?

"daveSanborn" said:
My dash looks sooo nice after they painted it, I dont want to take away from the paint

What will you do about the 4 holes from where the pads would've attached? How will you trim out the edge of the headliner where it normally would have been hidden under the pillar pad?

My car didnt have either, so there is nothing to fill or cover. If you didnt have the pillar pads there is a metal cover that covers the end of the headliner. Its held in place with a single screw. I'll see if I can find a pic on line or I'll snap a pic.

0003699.jpg

Yes, those would be the same trim pieces used on 65-66 cars. So your '68 didn't already have the holes punched into the A pillar for the pads.... got it.

Shag has the holes for the pillar pad, but I'm just going to have them welded up or filled in. Really hate the looks of those pads. They wouldn't match the interior paint anyway.

Back