• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stang is dead

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Stang has left me stranded. Went out to leave work it it will not even crank. The battery seems fine and the lights so not even dim when to turn the key. Julie is on her way. I will try to jump but I do not think it will help. After a 16 hour day, I am ready for bed, not this crud.

No I have not, too tired, and it is cold.

You mean, cold like this??

IMG_6601.jpg

You mean, cold like this??

IMG_6601.jpg

No, but it is 30 degrees outside. To me, anything under 70 is freezing. I do like that house with the four car garage in your picture.

It did start by bypassing the starter solenoid. Got the stang home and swapped the solenoids on the 2 stangs but that did not solve the issue. Had to get to work, so I will try to track it down tonight.

Check your neutral safety switch, and jiggle your automatic shifter.

Take one jumper start cable and connect minus pole of the battery with the engine.
Maybe your engine ground strip came loose.

If John had a bad ground, he wouldn't have lights and other accessories as stated in his original post.

Well it was not the ignition switch. At the starter solenoid, what voltage should I have at the 4 post.

Moving the shiftier around did nothing, but that is not ruled out. What is the best way to check that out because it is a pain to get under the car nowadays.

Check the connections at the coil. If you able to bypass the starter solenoid then that's the problem.

Well it was not the ignition switch. At the starter solenoid, what voltage should I have at the 4 post.

Moving the shiftier around did nothing, but that is not ruled out. What is the best way to check that out because it is a pain to get under the car nowadays.
At the starter solenoid:
Battery post should be 12V at all times
S post (closest to battery): 12V only when key is in CRANK position
I post: 12V when key is in CRANK, 9V when engine is running. With the wire off, 12V in CRANK, 0V when engine is running.
Starter post: 12V only when key is in CRANK.

The S post gets the signal to initiate the relay (solenoid) to transfer voltage from battery to the other two posts (I and starter).

This is the one thatI would check first.

"The S post gets the signal to initiate the relay (solenoid) to transfer voltage from battery to the other two posts (I and starter)."

Bypassed the Neutral Safety switch (by jumpng the red-blue stripe wire at the firewall. I was so excited that it worked I got on here to tell everyone. WAIT! Oh no, I think it just started on it's own. Holy crap it's driving down the street........

John will return to finish his post after he finally catches his car!

Back