• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stangg's 68

stangg

I didn't really get into Mustangs until the mid 80's... Through my youth I was mostly interested in GTO's, early Camaros and Trans Ams. A buddy of mine borrowed his girlfriends 84 GT for the day, took me for a spin and that really got me thinking about buying a new Mustang to replace my aging and worn '76 Trans Am. So on October 22nd, 1986 I bought my first Mustang GT. I bought it new off the lot with 2.3 miles on it. I drove it daily for the next 9 years. With a third child and a long commute to work I needed something more comfortable for the family and so I ended up replacing the Mustang with a '94 V8 Thunderbird.

stangg_0000.jpg

One of the things that helped me kick off this project is the fact that I essentially had an '89 Mustang LX 5.0 parts bin. I bought the entire drive train and suspension package from a wrecked '89 for $500 back in '92. The intent was to use those parts as spares for my aging '86, but when I sold the '86 I just kept all the '89 parts in my garage waiting for another project.
I started this build when my eldest son was 11 years old. I had figured I could fix the body up a little, get the EFI 5.0 / T5 installed, and then drive it for a couple years before turning it over to him... Well as I got into it, I began to realize that this car was going to take more than I had originally anticipated. I also developed a common restorers disease called "while-im-at-it-itis" and the 2 year project took me more like just over 5 to get it road worthy. This picture depicts what I was going after. I wanted a low slung coupe with the stock '86 aluminum GT 10 hole wheels. The original color combo was going to be silver with a black vinyl top.

stangg_0001.jpg

The original plan...
From an undercarriage perspective, the first objective was to retrofit the '89 K member, strut suspension, and entire drive-train. That proved to be a worthless effort since virtually every piece of metal on the '68 was severely damaged. The frame members and firewall amongst other parts were junk. At this point I should have scrapped the car and bought a more solid car but my ambition pushed me into doing what I always wanted to do which was build a street rod chassis from scratch... At the time, I was also pretty interested in Winston Cup Racing so I wanted to pick up on that theme a little too. I have always been especially interested in the chassis and fabrication work, and have always wanted to build a street rod from the ground up, so given the poor state of the Mustang I figured the front clip was my opportunity to do something custom.
After doing a bunch of research I got a whole bunch of 2x3 steel tubing and started mocking up the front clip. I did a lot of measuring, 2D Auto-Sketching, more mocking up. Parts hunting and fabricating kept me busy for some time. The drawback to doing this sort of project is that you spend a lot of time just staring and thinking about how everything will fit together. In my mind, function and fit comes before form. So even though it's not a traditional build, just about everything was done to serve a functional purpose and had to fit within my short budget and workspace constraints (1 car garage) and also be possible with the tools I had.
Anyway... as I continued to work on it over the following years, I thought it would be pretty cool to try and blend in more of the elements from the '86 that I really liked.

So here goes...
The first order of business was to figure out what to do with the front suspension. After a lot of fooling with the '89 K member and struts, I determined it would look like a kluge of parts and just decided to build a chassis from scratch. I originally wanted to do a full length frame, but determined that would be impossible to do with just a 1 car garage so I decided to do a bolt on front clip and a bolt on rear sub frame for the rear end too. The reason for bolt on is if I indeed screw it up, it would likely be a lot easier to fab up another clip to accommodate whatever changes might be required. For the rear, I wanted the ability to easily swap in an IRS so a bolt in sub frame made more sense. I think the foresight on this was a good idea, but so far I have no reason to change a thing... it handles quite well.
From a design perspective, I felt it would be better to build a perimeter style frame as opposed to a ladder frame running down the center of the car as I didn't want to lose floor space or sacrifice ground clearance for frame members. For the perimeter portion, it was quite easy as I installed convertible inner rockers and all the related pieces to serve as anchor points for the sub frames and also serve as chassis stiffeners. There are 28 bolts connecting the front frame to the beefed up unibody. 8 bolts tie the down bars to the framing on the cowl sides, 6 bolts for the stubs that slide into the inner rocker rails, 10 bolts tie the long lower runners to the lower seat bases, and 4 bolts to the beefed up toe boards, and then two struts that tie the cowl to the frame. The areas where bolts pass through sheetmetal have all been reinforced.

stangg_0002.jpg

stangg_0003.jpg

Those large ears coming off the top frame are street rod shock mounts that were given to me from a local supplier who treated me pretty well and so I felt obligated to use them. They look a little large, but were necessary to provide adequate clearance for the brake master cylinder. The frame itself as shown weighs 180 pounds.
The side bars shown here are welded to layered stiffeners welded to the door pillar. There are two bolts that tie it to the cowl sides. On a typical mustang this is just a single piece of sheet metal. On mine, I've built a very sturdy corner brace that connects to tubing that runs across the firewall to form a rigid side to side connection. The top of the fire wall is primarily made up of 1/8" thick stiffeners, and the firewall itself is .093" thick. Almost 3 times thicker than a stock firewall.

stangg_0004.jpg

stangg_0005.jpg

The Front suspension is mostly aftermarket parts, some custom parts and some modified.
The lower control arms are QA1 tubular arms made for Fox bodied Mustangs using struts. I welded on shock mounts and tubular brace to stiffen up the arm a bit. The upper arms are made by Pole Position and are typically used on the older Factory 5 kit cars. The upper ball joints are Chrysler K772 screw in ball joints that are mated up to my custom made spindle adapters that connect the '01 Mustang GT spindles. The shocks are QA1 Alumatics... I think I'll eventually step up to shocks that I can control the dampening on, but these seem to be doing ok for me so far. The springs are QA1 450 lb.

stangg_0006.jpg

I had started off with Factory 5 spindle to control arm adapters, but they were designed such that they pitched the spindle rearward thus raising the steering arm way too high to accommodate the low steering rack. The F5 adapters are designed for their 427 Cobra kit car that places the rack in a raised position in front of the engine. On mine the rack needed to go under the harmonic balancer. This meant that I needed to tilt my spindle forward a bit to lower the steering arms. It wasn't worth the aggravation to try and rework the factory five parts, so I designed a new mount, and salvaged the tapered spindle block from the F-5 adapters. As much as I trust my welding, I had a friend who has all sorts of welding certifications weld these together for me.
This is the model that I made to verify the design before I sent the drawings off for the pieces to be laser cut. The part drawn in orange represents the one piece salvaged from the F-5 adapters. The cool thing about the laser cut pieces is that I designed it such that all the pieces basically snap together via the keyed holes. This made it very easy to maintain the registration of each part so that I could basically go right to welding. If you've ever seen the Factory five pieces, you can tell that these parts were very much overbuilt. Not shown on the model is the top cover piece and a couple other small braces that I added after these were fitted to the spindles. The models is made with 1/4" masonite, the real adapters use both 1/4" and 5/16" thick steel plate.

stangg_0007.jpg

stangg_0008.jpg

Once I got the finalized spindle adapters installed it was time to fine tune the steering rack for bump steer. I made an intermediate plate that goes between the rack and the frame. This was done so that if I have any problems with the rack placement, then all's I need to do is make up another intermediate plate and bolt it in. So far so good... Funny how when you plan for Plan B, you never need to go to Plan B....
The steering rack is a remanufactured '89 Mustang GT rack with 15 to 1 ratio and 2.25 turns lock to lock. The one that I originally had also had a bent tie rod as it was part of the crashed car, so I didn't want to risk using that one. The sway bar is from an '89 Trans Am. I reworked the ends to use hiem joints, but honestly haven't had the time or strong desire to make end links since it handles exceptionally well with just a rear sway bar hooked up.
stangg_0009.jpg

Oil filter placement was a pain in the arse... Even the remote filter kits gave me trouble routing lines and finding a good clean place to mount the filter. I ended up just getting the Ford Motorsport 90 degree mount and have the filter mounted as shown. I'm using the short filter because of the proximity to the lower radiator hose. So far I've only been using NAPA gold filters.

stangg_0010.jpg

Rear Suspension.

The original intent was to just convert the '89 fox 4 link equipped rear end to leaf spring and run it in a pretty much stock configuration. But the rear frame rails were beginning to get soft, and the shock cross member was pretty rusty too. At the time the trunk transition pan and shock mount cross member were not available in the aftermarket. So I decided that I would try to use the 4 link arrangement with a custom frame. I started by replacing the last 19" of each rail, and then built a short tubular sub-frame that attaches to the rear rails and up front, custom made rear torque boxes. The subframe is essentially a cradle that has the triangulated 4 link attached. If ever I want to go with a three link or an IRS I can drop the subframe out and rework it, or just build another setup and plug it back in.
The rear shocks are also QA1 Alumatic coilovers with 250# Rear Springs. The 3/4" swaybar came from a Mazda Miata and is currently the only one being used on the car. The rear swaybar mounts are home made too. They work, but I may be make new ones out of aluminum when I have some time...

stangg_0011.jpg

stangg_0012.jpg

The exhaust was actually one of the fun scratch built projects I did. I basically bought a bunch of 2-1/4" mandrel bends from Summit Racing and then just sectioned and welded them together. The head pipes are joined via a welded H pipe and painted with the ceramic header paint. The tailpipes are still in their natural galvanized finish. They will get painted this summer if they need it.

stangg_0013.jpg

I bought a generic street rod 4 link kit instead of trying to re use the old fox control arms. The only thing I needed to rework was the upper control arms. Basically I just built a sturdy box and welded it to the shortened upper control arms. The arms are adjustable and have poly ends only on the front mount. The lower arms have poly bushings on both ends. I kept the rubber mounts in the rear end housing only because I wanted something to absorb road vibration and also because of the inherent quadra bind issues in a triangulated four link. So far I have not experienced any wheel hop, or snap over-steer, so I think the design is working fine.

stangg_0014.jpg

'89 5.0 HO rear end

It seems as though I was constantly dealing with stinky gear oil working on the 8.8... One of the first discoveries was a bad axle so I switched from the 4 lug drum brake axles to the longer 4 lug T bird axles and T bird disk brakes that I got from my nephews '88 Turbo Coupe. I also upgraded the stock traction loc with the F150 "S" spring and replaced the 2.73 gears with 3.27s. According to what I read on the net, the F150 Traction Loc Spring was supposed to exert more pressure than a Mustangs "S" spring... It was exactly the same as the stock spring, so don't bother with that mod if you're looking for cheap updates for an 8.8 Traction Loc.
Shortly thereafter I got the idea of running late model wheels, so I pulled the axles again and replaced them with 5 lug axles and stock 94-04 rear disk brakes. Then shortly after that, 70_Fastback listed an Auburn 8.8 differential for trade... we worked out a parts swap, and the Auburn now in my 8.8 rear.

So I think this was the 3rd time I had to crack the cover to replace the traction loc with the Auburn unit.
Shortly after I got the car on the road, I scored a full set of unused Cobra brakes. I thought these would be a straight bolt on, but the rear brackets are different, so once again I had to pull the axles to swap out the caliper mounting brackets.
Finally the rear is all done... Auburn diff, 3.27 FMS gears, Yukon Axles, FMS Cobra Brakes, 11.6" drilled and slotted rotors.

stangg_0015.jpg

Now on to the Engine...

stangg_0016.jpg

The engine went through 2 phases... Being a low mileage 5.0 (less than 40K miles) I was expecting it should be in pretty good shape and wouldn't need a rebuild. Hence I changed all the gaskets, threw the Ford E303 cam in it, dressed it up a little and painted it a shiny red. I got it the car on the road in the summer of '07. It didn't take long to discover I had a problem with the left bank. Cylinder #5 had a fair amount of blow by and was throwing a heavy dose of smoke on hard acceleration / deceleration. I was hoping that it was just valve seals, but one of the things I had also heard is that the oil ring could be stuck, and sure enough it was. When I tore it down, the oil ring was firmly set into the piston groove. Probably a by-product of low tension rings sitting idle for 13+ years. Perhaps mystery oil would have taken care of it, but I was pretty happy with how the car drove that it warranted something better.
After getting quotes to recondition the lower end I found that it wasn't too much more to go with a stroker kit. I couldn't decide between a 347 and a 331 for the longest time... I eventually went with a 331 because of the oil use issues with the wrist pin running into the oil ring groove on some of the 347 kits. I went ahead and bought a Scat 331 kit that uses the KB99330 pistons... and guess what... Same issue...

stangg_0017.jpg

For the block work, I did all the cylinder wall clearancing for the stroker crank, oil galley deburring etc... then I had a local machine shop do all the block work and rotating assembly balancing. The kit I got uses spiral locks with floating wrist pins which made it easy for home assembly.

stangg_0018.jpg

stangg_0019.jpg

When I got the block done, I had trouble getting heads I liked and ended up just biting the bullitt and bought AFR 165s. I had originally bought the FLOO TEK china cast aluminum head that Tri State Cylinder Heads builds, but ended up returning as they had casting defects that haunted me. The other thing that bugged me is that with aluminum being softer than cast iron, one would expect the combustion chamber to have a thicker wall than the cast iron. The FLOO Tek decks were thinner and I didn't want to risk the heads trashing my newly built short block. So the added price of the AFRs was really for insurance. Aside from the sticker shock, I have no regrets.
So the current configuration is
'89 5.0 HO Roller Block E303 roller cam AFR165 heads, FMS/Crane 1.7 Roller Rockers
Scat Cast Crankshaft, Scat Forged I Beam Rods KB 11 CC Pistons
Cobra EFI Intake, Professional Products 70mm Throttle Body, FMS 30# injectors, FMS 70MM MAF, MSD Billet Distributor. K&N air filter MAC Shorty Headers (ported) & 2-1/4 mandrel bent exhaust, Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, Northern Radiator, Summit Overflow,

Winter/Spring '08 - 331 Stroker

stangg_0020.jpg

I also ported the intake using the gasket match method since the gasket matched perfectly to the AFR heads.
This was a simpler task than I expected. I didn't go nuts, just smoothed out the transitions. You can see the scribe mark on the right side port to give an idea of how much was ported.

stangg_0021.jpg

I also cleaned up the header ports at the head end and also on the ball collector. I found it interesting that the collector diameter was just over 2 inches. Since I was running 2-1/4 exhaust, I opened the ports to just over 2-1/4". These are unequal length MAC headers for a fox Mustang. Since I don't have shock towers, stock frame, steering or a Z bar, they fit just fine. In this picture, the Header on the left is the stock diameter, the right one is ported to 2-1/4"

stangg_0022.jpg

Summer '07, 5.0 / 302 - Shakedown pics -- It didn't need to look pretty at this point as I was more interested in seeing that everything was functioning.

stangg_0023.jpg

stangg_0024.jpg

Transmission
The T5 too was low mileage, but it to had issues shifting into 3rd gear... not bad but not great. After a close look at all the gears, I didn't feel comfortable throwing it back together as is, so I order the T5Z gear set and the billet bearing retainer and made a nice cold winter project for myself. The first gear ratio is 2.95 as opposed to the stock 3.35 first gear ratio.

stangg_0025.jpg

Body work...
Technically this car is a coupe... the fastback conversion was not part of the original plan. The reason for the conversion was two fold. The coupe roof was way worse off than I had originally thought. Drip rail issues, rotted roof, dents etc, then Dynacorn had just release '67 style full fastback quarters and roof skins. I had a couple leads on donor cars, so I figured I'd look into doing a conversion. I had way too much time invested in the chassis that it did not make sense to seek out a reasonable fastback.. Back then clapped out fastbacks where still fetching 5 grand and most still needed several thousand to bring them to the state mine was already in... after doing the math, the conversion decision was a no brainer. I did mine different than most that I had read about before. I converted it to a fastback roof line using an original inner supporting structure from a scrapped '68 fastback. All the exterior fastback metal are dynacorn pieces. Almost all of the joints were done in the same fashion that Ford did. The only exception to this is how I mounted the B Pillar. I kept a lot of the coupe inner quarter metal in place and even welded in a filler piece to take the place of the rear side window opening. On a traditional fastback this area is wide open, I liked the idea of keeping the inner structure for it provides additional side impact protection, and also for added chassis stiffening. It was a very minor weight penalty. The B pillar section is the only place I had to make my own bracing. I would have had to do this anyway since this section was already removed from donor car's door jamb. I'm pretty confident that my B pillars are much stronger than a typical fastback.
Just the beginning of a transformation
Here's what it looked like just minutes before the surgery...

stangg_0026.jpg

This is the donor roof structure. As bad as it looks, I think I did ok getting it for about $300. Considering the stainless door trim alone was going for $300 per side at the time I think it was a good score. I also got all the interior brackets, vent assemblies and a couple of the fiber glass interior pieces and the coil spring style trunk hinges.

stangg_0027.jpg

I spent a weekend de skinning this as the only thing I was interested in was the inner structure.
With the roof skin removed it made it very easy to install the inner structure. It practically fell into place on the rear wheel houses and the joints up by the A pillar matched perfectly. The witness marks on both structures lined up unbelievably well. I was amazed that they lined up so well and that all of the measurements were right on.

stangg_0028.jpg

This picture is for the folks who think I'm nuts for building my own fastback... In reality Ford did a pretty crappy job putting some of these together. In the picture, notice the two pieces of metal butted up to each other. This is the joint between the trunk hinge bracket and the window to trunk filler panel. These pieced are supposed to overlap and spot welded to each other. There is just a slight tack weld holding them together... Quality wasn't Job 1 back then... I've since fixed this.

stangg_0029.jpg

The drip rails were in pretty rough shape... I used generic drip rail stock made by Florida Mustang. They required a little bit of rework to get them to fit right. They aren't perfect, but the trim covers them well, so I'm pleased. I seam welded the roof to the A pillar then spot welded the front and stitch welded the gutters.

Just test fitting the roof skin and quarters here... a little short on the back, not bad though.

stangg_0030.jpg

Front of roof plug welded, fillet weld on the pillar, stitch welds on the drip rail
stangg_0031.jpg

Adding Generic drip rails. - FYI, these should have a convex bowed face, but they were too wide and I had to make a tool to compress them 1/16" in order to fit the moldings over them. I wasn't overly concerned since the molding cover up the face. Nowadays you can buy this piece from Dynacorn.

stangg_0032.jpg

Dynacorn quarter and rear window filler panel. I opted to seam weld the joints here so that I could back off the sealer... no better sealer than a solid bead of weld. I made a 3/8 thick steel frame that surrounds the fuel tank... It's hiding under the blue tape.

stangg_0033.jpg

This Golden Legion trunk lid was nothing but trouble... I spent countless hours getting this to fit the trunk opening, reshaping the edges, angles etc.. it also is a weak piece it easily dented and therefore required additional straightening and smoothing. I did buy a perfect OEM trunk lid, but it didn't align well to the dynacorn quarters so I opted to just rework the golden legion lid.

stangg_0034.jpg

I was originally going to use a deluxe rear valence, but decided on going with the through the valence exhaust and shaved the backup lights off the panels to give it a cleaner look. Since I don't have rear leafs, the exhaust comes straight through the 3" stainless tips.

stangg_0035.jpg

So this picture is from the summer of 2007.
I drove it like this for several months. I took it to many cruise in car shows just as you see it here. This summer was essentially the shakedown period. I wanted to be sure that everything functioned properly before I went nuts on refining the drive train and body. The shakedown went very well. I never got stranded in the 1100 miles I drove it.

stangg_0036.jpg

Body Shop Pics

The original plan was for me to get the car "straight" ready for paint. Such that the shop could immediately go to high build primer, and begin blocking it out. I was having a biotch of a time with the door to fender straightness. I wanted more of the straight continuous panel look, versus the slight curves sometimes found between doors and fenders. I was using one of the high end marson fillers, but misplaced the hardener and figured I'd just use the red hardener found at autozone instead of the blue green hardener that came with the marson filler. That was a big mistake... very hard to sand an otherwise easy to sand filler. Anyway... it wasn't coming out good, so I brought it to the shop to have them fix it...

stangg_0037.jpg

The guy that worked on it rightfully stripped all the filler off the doors and fenders. He then pulled the door edges and the fenders with a slide hammer to align them better. They still required filler, but much less than I had. I did replace the door skins early on and had some issues with them too. I'm not sure if it was the quality of the skins, or me being in-experienced redoing skins, but they obviously required more filler than I had hoped for. Personally I'm not worried... The El Camino in the background has a lot of filler on it covering dents and hadn't failed in over 20 years... so the minimal amount used here isn't something I'm worried about. The pics make it look worse than it really is. The shop owner and the tech that worked on it insisted on skimming every panel... even the dynacorn quarters and roof panel which to me were already better than great. I can't say that it was a wasted effort because the car is extremely straight. The guy that actually did the filler / straightening work had previously done a Mercedes gull wing car for Jerry Seinfeld along with other body work on 100K restorations... I was impressed to say the least.

stangg_0038.jpg

They spent 5 -1/2 days skimming and sanding it, then epoxy primed and followed up with high build primer (I think the polyester stuff). At first since this was a last minute change to work that I had not budgeted for, we thought that maybe I'd have him shoot a hotrod black over the primer so I could drive it for the season and build up funds to bring her back for paint. The day before priming, I asked the painter if he would have any problem if we skip the black top coat, and let me bring the car home for final blocking. In our discussion, the heaviest part of the cost going forward was the blocking. I figured with it being straight now I didn't think I could screw up too much if I'm working with fine grit paper. And so that's what we did.... I got various sanding blocks and papers and spent the next 2-3 weeks block sanding and tweaking areas that I didn't like so much.

stangg_0039.jpg

I also painted the underside of the hood and trunk lid in my garage to save a little coin.
Once it was all blocked out I brought the car back to the painter early on a Monday morning... The car was painted apart. On Wednesday he painted shell and all the rear pieces, clear coating everything but the doors. Then on Thursday painted all the front end parts, blended base on the doors and cleared everything else.

stangg_0040.jpg

stangg_0041.jpg

By Late Friday afternoon, the shell was buffed and ready for me to take home. For whatever reason, I masked the car in the paint booth... and in doing so masked off the cowl sides instead of just masking off the wires... oh well...

stangg_0042.jpg

Timing worked out great. I had the weekend to get the 331 installed... I had worked out with the painter to take his time buffing the rest of the parts so that I could pick up pieces throughout the week to install. On Monday we picked up the doors, Tuesday hood and fenders, Wednesday everything else. With just a 1 car garage, space is at a premium and certainly didn't want to risk damaging anything.

stangg_0043.jpg

Well in all the crazyness in the weeks before, I totally forgot to bring the parking light housings and the headlight trim rings to the painter. I considered polishing them and they looked ok, but since have painted them satin black. I've got another set that will get painted highland green.

stangg_0044.jpg

Some of the body mods are the custom front valance. I added the opening in place of the license plate mount and built in a chin spoiler. On the deck lid, I eliminated the "M U S T A N G" lettering and frenched in a third brake light. Lower Shelby side scoops from Branda, shaved side marker lights ( used 67 fenders and quarters) shaved antenna hole, and shaved reverse lights. AAlso used a '70 Mustang hood scoop with the turn signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interior...

Since I had the steering column and pedals from the '89 LX, I figured I would also like to use the same style wheel that I had on my '86 GT. I also like the '86 GT seats. I settled for set of Escort GT seats which are very similar except they don't have the adjustable section under your knees. I had a local upholster shop that had just started up re-cover the two bucket seats, the rear coupe seat and the door panels for a pretty good price. The parts were done while the car was still in coupe form, so I had to go back a few years later to get the fastback's fold down seat covered to match the other pieces. I nearly had a heart attack when he quoted me almost the same price he charged for the first 6 pieces. Anyway, the back seat looks great... but unfortunately I always keep the seat folded down.

The dash panels are a collection of new and used pieces. If I had do it again, I'd just go ahead and buy the Burton pieces. Too much fussing for marginal aftermarket pieces. I didn't save too much in the long run. The gauges are all Autometer Pro Comp electrics. None of the gauges were cut as I wanted to be able to move them to my other car in case I wanted to change them up or had a warranty issue. For the electric gauge, I welded a piece of tubing in the ash tray opening. It gives a little bit of a custom feel I think... I made the console out of 1/2" plywood, 1/2" foam and black vinyl. I took a night class at the local technical high school and made the aluminum cup holders, shifter handle, tilt wheel handle, and signal lever using their lathes. I sewed up the vinyl cover on the console and the shifter boot on my wife's basic singer sewing machine. It worked very well with heavy thread and bigger needle.

stangg_0047.jpg

The E brake handle is from the fox car, but I shortened it a couple of inches and eliminated the spring loaded mechanism that is normally attached. I just welded an arm to the bottom for the cables to attach. I eliminated the plastic handle covering and just slipped on the lokar boot and fitted the bezel. I even made an inner seal to keep the innards of the e brake hidden.

stangg_0048.jpg

The roll bar is made of 1-3/4 chassis tubing. I had a local race car fabricator form it to a template that I made out of plywood strips. I sewed up the vinyl covering and installed it along with about 1/2" of padding before welding the bar in. Most of the rear interior parts are original parts. The rear panel with the speakers is just a fixed panel... no trap door. I bought the panel from a respected member at another site... claimed there was no damage on it. However 6 months later when I went to clean it up I discovered 4 - 1/8" holes drilled through it. I didn't noticed the holes until I went to paint the panel. I originally didn't want speakers in the panel, but considering it wasn't perfect anymore I figured I'd install the free speakers that came with the Kenwood stereo.
To mask the 4 holes, I simply upholstered the panel with black vinyl and then sprayed it with SEM satin black. The grain and color match pretty well with the rest of the interior pieces. The vinyl also helps to deaden the tinny sound of the bare trunk divider panel.

stangg_0049.jpg

Here's the million dollar seat upholstery in the unusual upright state. The lower side panels are the ABS plastic ones. When I ordered them, they were advertised as fiberglass but came as ABS. They are not super sturdy, but overall I think the quality is ok. The vent grills are the plastic reproductions too. Both look way better than what I had and the prices were reasonable. All the little parts add up... I can't imagine trying to afford a concourse restoration.
I've since changed the halo headrests on the bucket seats with the ones used on mid 80s SVO mustangs. They are basically the same shape, but have netting in the halo portion.

stangg_0050.jpg

Almost Finished / Car show pictures...

Here are some pics taken one late afternoon shortly after I got most of the exterior trimmings on.

stangg_0051.jpg

'01 Bullit Rims, Cobra brakes,

stangg_0052.jpg

First car show of the season - spring '08

stangg_0053.jpg

stangg_0054.jpg

Worcester (MA) Nationals - 2009
stangg_0055.jpg

So far I've only brought it to New England Dragway once in the fall of '08.
13.3 at 107.5 MPH... based on the mph, it should be putting out about 350-375 hp, and should be capable of mid 12 second times. This is way better than my original goal of 14.0 @ 100mph.
Overall I'm pretty happy with it.. it drives nice, corners good, seems to hook pretty good under hard throttle.

Winter 2009
stangg_0056.jpg

Revised with pics after late winter 2012 refresh... replaced valve covers with fabricated aluminum covers, added 1" intake spacer, replaced hard fuel ines with steel braides line black anodized fittings. Rewired and plumbed to give a much cleaner look.
stangg_0057.jpg

stangg_0058.jpg

stangg_0059.jpg

Some before pics...

stangg_0057orig.jpg

stangg_0058orig.jpg

In this pic I didn't have the sway bar hooked up... just finally fabbed up (Apr 2012) and endlink shown a few pictures up. It handled fine before, but better now.
stangg_0059orig.jpg

stangg_0060.jpg

:wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor
WOW! I am speechless. Very, very impressive. I am in awe... I would love to this this baby in person, way cool!

Awesome to finally get to see your build & process. Well done sir! And thanks for the head nod too :roll. :thu

Thanks everyone... the biggest fear was putting it all together not know how it will all work out. 4100 miles and so far so good...

Don't know how I missed this when I was looking for it :hs Awesome work. I really dig the look. Awesome fab skills on the suspension. :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu

Bill

Wow, I am not worthy!!!!

:wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor

You have mad fab skills!

If I just had the skill to turn my wife's coupe into a FB...Wow, just Wow!

Mel

"67 Fastback" said:
Don't know how I missed this when I was looking for it :hs Awesome work. I really dig the look. Awesome fab skills on the suspension. :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu

Bill
:kneel

I missed it too.

Holy Sh!t!!!!!

Very impressive sir.

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the :thu I've got a few more mods that I hadn't yet posted in the thread.

I put the Electric life power windows in which were a bit of a pain getting them adjusted just right... I originally bought a set of rocker switch that I was going to mount in the center console, but then decided to go with the manual crank type switches. Looking at what was available at the time it looked like the switches where going to interfer with the electric life regulators. I was already planning on using the Summit streetrod handles that came with various regulator spindle adapters and so I just decided to make switches that would fit. Here's a pic of the switch and handle... They are not weather tight, but I don't intentionally take it out in foul weather, so they serve my purposes just fine.

electric_window_crank_sm.jpg

Here's an action video ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyy2SsTRe2k

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wor

I don't know why, but I always thought your car was blue. Must have been the lighting in your sig pic.

Back