• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Starter wire spliced

Dave2g

On my 67 I was having problems with my new distributor and it turned out to be the wire from the coil to the starter not giving 12v on crank/startup. It was spliced and connected to something else as well. Didn't get to see what it was before I left.

Any one else ever see this before?

There is no wire directly connecting the coil to the starter motor nor to the starter solenoid. Can you describe what you're seeing in more detail?

I would guess the bad wire might have been the brown wire from the starter solenoid to the junction with the pink resistor wire that feeds the coil. Without the brown wire in position, 12 volts to the coil on start up would be missing. That would be the only factory "splice" involved there.

At least in my old and feeble mind it should work like that......

According to my books, there is a Red-Green wire #16 from the coil but it goes to the ignition switch via 16B (Red-Green) and then 16A (pink). Not to the starter. Hopefully Mr. Midwife will chime in to confirm.

His other post indicates he has an MSD ignition system, so all bets are off using a stock system.

Back