• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Steering column tube

OK I have the steering wheel off, the part where the turn signal cam mounts, the "U" bracket that was bolted to the dash, now what to remove the tube?
I have tried to pull off but it won't pull off. Am I missing something or is it just "stuck" from being on there for a long time?
It is a 1966 coupe with the single shaft steering box.
Thanks

I've an early '67 with the same style steering column. I had to feed the wire harness up the column a little to unbolt and move the turn signal switch out of the way. Under the switch, there was a retainer which slide on the shaft and wedged between the shaft an a bearing in the steering column collar. Once I removed it, I was able to pull the column off the shaft.

I hope my explanation makes sense. It has been over a year since I removed the column. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.

My column was solidly affixed to the rubber grommet on the engine side, as well as the firewall grommet. I could only remove mine after breaking the seal after 35+ years.

I disassembled my early '67 one piece column and there was a snap ring below the TS switch, as mentioned you need to make some slack in the wiring to remove the TS switch over the post. Here's a pic of a '69 that I disassembled also, looked the same:
IMG_2185.jpg

Jon

I am at this point in the picture. It feels like it is either stuck at the end near the box or still has a mount (set screw?). there is little rubber left at the firewall boot so it isn't that. :wtf

Attachments

• Dash1.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 48
I don't remember there being anything else that holds it on. Did you try rotating it to break the bond at the gasket?

I used a screwdriver to help twist the tube and it moved and I was able to pull off the tube. Thanks
I didn't look closely but there was a bunch of grease by the box and up the shaft. I assume the seal is bad on the input side of the box and any grease pumped in would migrate back out?

I was going to say, get some solvent and spray it on the end near the steering box. Let it soak and then get a screw driver and twist it.

But, you already figured it out. I had to do that with both my 65 and 67.

Mel

Sounds like the shaft seal is bad too which would let the thick grease pumped into the box spit into the bottom of the tube.
I pulled my solid tube, replaced it with a collapseable '69 column and had my stock gearbox rebuilt with a short shaft. Still looks stock but I now have the piece of mind that the 'spear-o-matic' won't get me in a crash.
Jon

That grease comes up on all steering columns, and is perfectly normal and expected. Just clean it up and move on!

Back