• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Steering Wheel Color

PJ Moran

I know some don't, but I like my Grant GT steering wheel. I like the design and the foam grip and the small diameter. It makes it easier to get in and out of the car and provides better road feel.

But, with my new DeLuxe interior setup with all the woodgrain instead of black camera case, it sorta looks out of place. I was thinking about painting the spokes saddle to match the dash. Any other ideas to make it fit in better?

383_31_01_10_11_18_30_2.JPG

I've toured a lighting factory that made custom light fixtures. They actually had a woodgrain powder coating that looked AMAZING.

I think the wood would match good.

Go with the Saddle on the spokes. If you do not like it, you can always remove it.

As for powder coating, I would not think you could heat it up enough to bake the coating with out messing up the foam cover.

I have an older version of that same wheel on my cheby and painted the spokes the same color ( teal - green ) as my dashboard and clear coated it. The paint and clear will hold up fine so I don't see a need to use powdercoat. The biggest trick is peeling back the foam from the spokes without tearing it. Over time the foam shrinks and will show the old paint if you don't get some paint under the foam.

Another option would be to have someone airbrush the spokes to give it a wood grain look if you wanted to go that far, but I think the saddle color on the spokes and perhaps some different hardware for the button head screws ( stainless or chrome ) might also look better than the black oxide finish against the saddle or wood tone. A leather wrap that matches your dash pad would also set it off nicely IMO...

Back