• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stereo Power Wire Mounting point?

Sacbill

Hard Swinger
I'm installing a stereo power amp on my '67. The amp is located in the trunk and there's a heavy (thick) 12V+ line that runs to the battery. The setup has a large fuse located in the engine compartment (near the battery). Can anyone suggest or send along a picture of a good mounting point for the power wire at the battery? Just use a ring terminal and attach it to the positive battery clamp? Thanks.

Sent from my Pad using Tapatalk HD

I assume you have some means on turning this live feed wire on/off before it powers the amp, right? If all you need is a full time "hot" take it off the starter solenoid post to which your positive battery cable is run.

As Terry stated you can run it to the solenoid or the battery itself. Just make sure the fuse is as close to the connection as possible. I ran mine directly to the battery terminal but both my battery and amp are in the trunk.

The amp is connected to the head unit with a remote wire, so I hooked everything up and confirmed that it switches everything on only when the ignition switch is in the "on" position and the head unit is turned on.

I have everything on the positive battery terminal side of the solenoid. It's looking a bit 'stacked up,' though. LOL

What is the next step to get rid of that 'stacked up' situation? A terminal block on the inner fender? I haven't installed one before, but I'd like to check it out. Does anyone have suggestions on what to use? Where to install?

Thanks,

Sent from my Pad using Tapatalk HD

There are an endless variety of power "posts" you can add to a car to facilitate power distribution. Under the hood you are likely dealing with only full time power needs so this might be a cool option.

555-10523.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/10523/10002/-1?parentProductId=

You can also find dual post arrangements where you can make one full time live and the second, maybe, only live on key. Any of the general parts houses have multiple pieces or simply Google search something.

I use one like pictured above. It works great for power distribution and for grounds. I use one for both.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back