• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Still trying to figure out 2 1/2 inch backing plates

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
I thought that I had this figured out, but then maybe this dude is fos[nb]full of something[/nb]. I have been searching ebay for backing plates for my small bearing 9 inch rear end. What I want is 10 x 2.5 brakes on the back of my 67 coupe. I thought it was just a matter of finding the correct backing plate, going to autozone and buying the shoes, spring kit and brake drum. I should not assume, but I am, that 11 inch brakes will not work on my Mustang.
The 9 inch rear that I bought used came out of a 70 Cougar, and the rear brakes are 10 x 2.
Now this is what I am assuming the difference is between the backing plate that came with my 9 inch and the 2 1/2 wide brake shoe one that I want. It will be just 1/4 (0.25) of an inch deeper and the brake drum will make up the other 1/4 (0.25) of an inch.
I found a dude in Lost Wages[nb]Las Vegas[/nb] that claims to have a set, then I found another dude[nb]the one that I think is fos[/nb] with price that I am willing to pay but his response when I asked him what size brake shoes fit on his backing plates:
Small bearing backing plates. Break size is determined by the depth of your
drums thanks jim

Cliff notes: Is there a 1/4 of an inch difference in offset/depth of a 10 x 2 inch backing plate and a 10 x 2 1/2 backing plate and the other 1/4 inch is to the outside being made up by the brake drum.

Below is information that I found on the web. sigtauenus has some good info on this subject, and I have a little part of his page below.

Drums: C3OZ-1126-A
Left back plate: L C3OZ-2211-A
Right back plate: R C3OZ-2212-A
Left wheel cyl: L C3OZ-2262-B
Right wheel cyl: R C3OZ-2261-B

Brake drums C3OZ-1126-A are for the 65-67 GT 350/500, 66 Fairlane and 66 Falcon. (they are of the non-flared type)
Brake drums C6OZ-1126-C are for 67-71 Fairlane/Torino. (they are of the flared type)
Backing plates C3OZ-2211-A & 2212-A are for a 65 Fairlane with a 71 body code
Backing plates C9OZ-2211-A & 2212-A are for 66-71 Fairlanes, 72 Fairlane (71,91) and 68-69 Mustangs

I know 84 Lincoln Town Cars work, but for other donors, here's what I found
at the parts house using their old book (the computer doesn't help for this):
68-70 Mustang
80-89 Full size Fords (Custom, Galaxie, LTD, Crown Victoria, Country Sedan, Country Squire)
66-75 Elite, Fairlane, Torino
69-71 Station Wagon
63-65 Station Wagon
61-67 Econoline E150/100
66-74 Ranchero

NOS (New Old Stock). A part manufactured during AND for a brief period of time after the vehicle's production run by the manufacturer's authorized supplier. Example: A C6OZ-2211-A brake backing plate would be the correct part number for a '66-68 Mustang (before 8/12/68) for 10" x 2" brakes, found unused/uninstalled in its original packaging or tagging to support its date of manufacture.

NORS (New Old Replacement Stock) Same as above, but either a replacement for the original with a later manufacture date or the date can not be verified. As in the above example, a 10" x 2" brake backing plate bearing the number C9OZ-2211-B which supercedes the original part number would be NORS, as would, say, a C9AE-6A666-B PCV Valve in a Motorcraft box, as the original part would have been packaged in an Autolite box.

POOP (Plain Old Ordinary Parts) - Want to install 10" x 2" or 2 1/2" brakes on your Mustang? Ford Service Parts brake backing plates with the number E5AZ-2211-A and 2212-A (left and right) were still available, last I knew. Since the 4th digit in the part number is a Z, these are identified as Service Replacements, not an original part nor do they carry the correct part number.

That being said, in many cases the claim to be NOS vs. NORS is subject to doubt when there is no documentation to support when the part was made. Just like anything else of value, I'm quite sure there are a number of "counterfeits" out there.

The correct backing plates are Bendix (made for Ford) 31849-R and 31848-L (Ford part numbers C3OZ-2211/12-A). The wheel cylinders are Ford part number C3OZ-2261/62-A, which has 2 blue dots or stripes, and a diameter of 15/16" (versus regular V-8 Mustang that uses C3OZ-2261/62-B, with 2 white dots or stripes, and a diameter of 29/32"). The Ford part number for the brake drums is C3OZ-1126-A.

fd

Re: Still trying to figure out backing plates

So, are you looking for backing plates? I've converted my fastback to rear discs, but I'm not sure what size of backing plates I had. Too long ago, and too much alcohol between then and now for me to remember. I can dig out the milk crate with brake parts and see what I've got. If they're the 10 x 2.5, give me an offer I can't refuse and they can be yours.

Back