• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Store bought A/C recharge or shop done?

blu67

My 02 Honda a/c is not cooling very well and has never been recharged. I've seen the recharge kits at the local parts store but didn't know if it was as good as going to a shop and having it done. Anyone use those at home a/c charging kits? Are they worth it?

I used one on my '93 Bronco and it has been real good for a year so far. It really depends on how tight your system is. If they are low on freon, there is a leak somewhere. I went thru the truck and tightened all the connections just as a precaution. It is a cheap fix and if it holds, you are done. If it leaks down again, it is time to have it looked at. Nothing beats a professional recharge.

I recharged my 2000 F250 last year with one of those "kits". Worked much better since. It went from cold to ice cold and has been that since. I read about all the dire warnings of DIY and in my experience, was hogwash, YMMV.

I'm sure a professional charge would still be the better route if you think there's a leak.

The only real issue is overcharge. R134 systems drop thier cooling quick with overcharge, even as little as 3-4 ozs. Meter it in slowly and check the temp at the vents. Stop when it reaches the lowest level and starts to inch up. Don't put enough in to make it rise much above that.

I used the recharge kit on the Saleen. Worked to perfection. The kits they sell now include a gauge that helps keep you from over-charging the system if you're halfway paying attention...

Local shop wanted $100 just to charge the system. The kit was $40 with the leak dye included. I figured I'd spend the $40, charge it, and have a chance to look for leaks if it didn't hold the charge,instead of spending $100 upfront for them to tell me what was needed.

Back