• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Straightened the core support and aprons today

Sluggo

Cell phone pics. They kinda suck :boo

Lookee here:
1_26_02_09_5_03_14_8.jpg

1_26_02_09_5_03_14_7.jpg

1_26_02_09_5_03_14_6.jpg

1_26_02_09_5_03_14_1.jpg

1_26_02_09_5_03_14_2.jpg

1_26_02_09_5_03_14_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen a body straightening in action...wish i was there.

Does the car creak and groan as pressure is applied?

"Midlife" said:

Newer cars made with high strength steel do more so than these oldies, but yes it did groan and pop a bit. It was off about 5/8ths inch, but you have to over pull it a bit so it lands where you want it when the tension is released.

We got it within a 32nd of perfectly square. I'm guessing that's far tighter than factory tolerance.

Yea, they can make some real noise depending on what needs to be done. Way back in '68, I straightened a bent frame on a '45 Ford pickup. For the h*** of it, we left the bent up body parts on. It was neat to see how things went "back".

You may have been starting from the original factory tolerances at the 5/8ths off. :rofl

I'll never forget the first time I saw a frame machine in action. My neighbor in AZ owned a large body shop/collision center (it's where I learned to paint/backyard body work skills) and I used to hang around there a lot. Another neighbors kid had a little beater car that was damaged. He'd been parked in a right-turn lane waiting for his light when an 18 wheeler made too sharp of a left turn through the intersection and the side of the trailer flattened the passenger side A pillar before the truck driver stopped. The little car was a complete mess and I thought it to be beyond all hope of repair.... until I witnessed the frame machine perform a minor miracle. With a new windshield on hand and the A pillar studded, the frame machine did a slow upward pull on the pillar until the angle was perfect and the new glass was laid in to verify fitment. The severely dented roof almost "fixed itself" as the A pillar came upward.

Just the other day I watched hydraulics pull a drivers side inner apron back to square on an '05 Mustang that was involved in a front-end collision.

I could watch that type of work all day long and never get bored.

"daveSanborn" said:
I could watch that type of work all day long and never get bored.
You probably really enjoyed the movie Christine then!
Although they probably squished them Fury's and ran the film backwards.

Back