• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Strange issue (that may be in my imagination)

ko67

I am having a strange issue. I have disk brakes in the front and drums in the back (prop valve installed and adjusted) The car stops great when going forward. The brakes seem to respond differently when I stop while backing up. The pedal feels less responsive and it seems to take more foot pressure to stop when in reverse. I do not know of any technical reason why this would or could happen. I am prepared to accept the fact that it is all in my imagination, but can anyone think of a reason that this could happen? Might it just be a difference in the feel when the drum brakes are the sort of the front brakes while backing up? I cant imaging that given the lower speeds it really make that much of a difference which set of brakes is the furthest forward when stopping while backing up?

if it is all in my imagination, feel free to tell me that. I have accepted many other mental problems, and I can accept this one.

Kevin

Sounds like the drum brakes need adjusting. Also may need to adjust the prop valve so there is a bit more pressure to the back.

Mel

The drum brakes that are on your Mustang are called the dou-servo design. There is a primary shoe (towards front of car) and a secondary shoe (towards rear of car). With this design the rotation of the drum causes a self applying action resulting in greater braking force. Due to the difference in the primary shoe and secondary shoe you will not benefit from this same self applying action when driving in reverse.
The dou-servo design is very common and is not unique to vintage Mustangs or just Ford products.
The difference in brake feel you described should not be that noticeable unless you are driving in reverse at higher than normal parking speeds and make panic type stops.
If you feel a big difference during normal stops I would inspect the brakes for proper shoe to drum clearance adjustment, adjustment of your proportioning valve, and look for excessive glazing of the friction material, especially on one shoe but not the other. Another thing to look for is contamination of the friction material from something like a leaking axle seal.

So when you're backing up and applying pressure on your rear you don't slow down as fast?
Couldn't resist. I'd also check the adjustment on your rear BRAKES.

As said, if all is proper in the brakes, that is just the way they work. So many think drum brakes are bad going forward, try needing them in an emergency while backing fast.......feels like you push the pedal and go faster.

Back