• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Strnge's 1965 Mustang Coupe Build

I installed a curved Monte Carlo bar.

I had read on several posts on here that people were confused on how to mount the Monte Carlo Bar.

Below are photos showing the bolt locations:

Stock Bolts next to shock tower:

2md2paf.jpg

3 Stock bolts removed, the holes on the Monte Carlo bar line right up on the wall and the rear bolt hole on the upper fender mounting area. You have to drill out the front hole on the upper fender mounting area.

30ua2dw.jpg

I installed the 3 original bolts back in to the holes......and a new one in the new hole in the front.....I didn't like the way it looked

2j5kxfs.jpg

I installed the new bolts on the fender apron and the originals on the wall.

286v9jr.jpg

Installed

33wsebt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After removing the radiator and hoses, I decided I might as well do it right.

Installed:

Scott Drake 3 row radiator
Scott Drake 3 inch fan shroud
6 blade fan from air conditioned car
New upper and lower hoses
New hose from water pump
New thermostat

33ferza.jpg

The fan shroud needed to be notched to fit as well as trimmed:

124wi87.jpg

2lu89rs.jpg

After the installation I took the car for a spin down the highway in 80 degree weather. The temperature gauge stayed just above the first white line! I then got on city streets and got caught up in stop and go traffic to see if it changed. It barely moved up at all. So after all the work, I have come to the conclusion it worked perfectly. I am amazed at the amount of air this combination moves. I would say it easily moves 3 times the amount my original set up did. Best of all, I used all OEM style parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Strnge1957's 1965 Mustang Coupe Build

"Jack1966" said:
Maybe it came originally with the pinstripe option since there's no chrome side scoops?

How can I find out if it had one without striping the paint. I don't want to repaint it yet. It does have the rocker panel moldings that were paired with the stripe in the kit.

Good job on the radiator install. You might consider installing a coolant filter such as a Tefba into the upper hose to help block crud from the block coming into the new radiator. It will be even more important if you decide to flush the block.

I also see a cowl cover in one of your original pics. Have you determined where it is leaking and what is your plan of attack to resolve it?

Re: Strnge1957's 1965 Mustang Coupe Build

"strnge" said:
How can I find out if it had one without striping the paint. I don't want to repaint it yet. It does have the rocker panel moldings that were paired with the stripe in the kit.

At this point, you would have to make the assumption it had the pinstripe option, since it does not have the chrome side scoops, and it's a coupe built before the GT option came out. I guess someone could have filled in the 3 holes in the quarters that the chrome scoops were mounted on and painted it over. But why? It wouldn't pass for a GT because of the build date (unless you got a new data plate) but you would need to get rid of the rocker panel molding and fittings. :shrug

"cmayna" said:
Good job on the radiator install. You might consider installing a coolant filter such as a Tefba into the upper hose to help block crud from the block coming into the new radiator. It will be even more important if you decide to flush the block.

I also see a cowl cover in one of your original pics. Have you determined where it is leaking and what is your plan of attack to resolve it?

I did flush the block before installing the new radiator.

No leaks in the Cowl. I just don't want any water in there at all. The one in the photo was put on the car years ago. I have a new slim lined one on it now.

Installed a turn signal canceling cam. It was not there. Previous owner must have forgotten to reinstall it.

While I was at it, I installed a new turn signal. I wanted it to be tighter.

I guess I will just sell the original turn signal since it worked fine.

Installed rear seat belts so I can take my daughters around with me. No rear belts were ever installed prior to me installing them.

2wp1hfl.jpg

rh1pfk.jpg

Replaced the broken P.O.S. power antenna that was installed at some time before my cousin owned the car.

rvx7ok.jpg

Back