• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stroker

pnandy

I want to get a stroker 331 or 347 and would want ot reuse most of the parts on the current 302 intake carb what would i be looking at it terms of money to build one and how hard is it to do?

What are my basic options any helpful links or how to's would be helpful to

I would go to a reputable machine shop and get some quotes for the machine work, you may find that its cheaper in the long run to buy a stroker short block, typically in the $1300 and up range depending on the internals (forged, cast, etc.) That would allow you to use what you want from your old engine and purchase new or used the items you want to upgrade, heads, oil pump, etc.

you may find that its cheaper in the long run to buy a stroker short block, typically in the $1300 and up range depending on the internals (forged, cast, etc.)

This is a very real option..... if you're impatient.

Last Spring I was in the market for a 347. I did a little snooping around price checking and noticed that there are better ways of getting it done.

The increased stroke of the 347 requires the lower edge of each cylinder wall to be "notched". The notch allows the rod to clear the cylinder wall during the cranks rotation. There is an eBay seller who sells a re-usable $29.99 template for cutting the notch. I planned to buy this tool and notch my 5.0 block.

I then turned to the pre-assembled stroker "kits" for sale on-line. As stated, these aren't overly expensive. Approx. $1000 and up depending on quality. But then I noticed that our economy was forcing some private sellers to sell off their new unused kits/components. Guys that had planned on building a stroker motor were short on funds and the "toys" are always the first things to go. I watched a couple new Scat forged cranks sell for under $175, sets of new rods for under $150. New pistons for even less. These components comprise the "kit" that's selling for $1k and up. Forged components are in the "and up" category.

I was biding my time, waiting for the timing to be right when I found a guy in NJ selling his whole EFI 347 motor w/less than 20k miles on it for under $1000. I contacted him and everything checked out. I won the auction for $999.99 with only one other bidder competing against me and had the engine and all of it's components (as spares) in my shop within a couple days. My 347 was installed in a late model Bronco, which made the deal even better! No track time!

Be patient and look around, guys wreck their 5.0's (with stroker motors) all of the time. The economy's tightening it's belt a little and the good deals are only going to keep getting better.

I had a shop in Sacramento put my 331 kit together for about $800 (iirc), plus $175 for balancing. The kit included a high-nodular Scat crank, forged Scat rods w/ARP cap screws (required notching the cylinder skirts), KB hypereutectic pistons, and matching plasma moly rings (file to fit).

What you should do is sit down and list out every part you can think of that might need to be replaced, then find prices on quality replacements. Keep in mind a set of ARP head bolts runs about $80, and an engine hardware kit is about $130. This is also a good time to figure out what cam, heads, intake, carb, headers, etc you want on the new engine.

A lot of good advice. You mentioned you wanted to use your carburetor off the 302. What size is it? On my 347 I went with a 750 mechanical and I think I could probably go bigger.

Mike.

Bigger? I have a 600 on my 331 and it's just about perfect. Even with some wicked heads and high compression, that 347 isn't likely to ever touch 750CFM.

i have a demon 650 625? can't remember which its too big for my current motor previous owners great idea ~dk

I had a 650cfm on my orginal 351. It was just about right. You probably would be good with a 600. Either way you will need to work on the jetting, but either should be close.

This is a good post for I still need to decided WTH I'm going to put in Shag (68JcodeFB) when the time comes.

Yes, bigger. Maybe my supercharger makes it hungrier. I have gone up 73 jets in the primary and plan on going higher as I play with the tuning.
"Starfury" said:
Bigger? I have a 600 on my 331 and it's just about perfect. Even with some wicked heads and high compression, that 347 isn't likely to ever touch 750CFM.

Back