• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Suggestions for removing stuck screws?

nymustang

Trying to replace the coil pack on my 01 Focus. Its held in with 4 torx head screws. They are quite corroded and very stuck. I managed to get 2 off by spraying penetrating oil on them from the underside. I can't reach the underside of the rear two and I am afraid of stripping the head. Should I just drill them out and get two new screws? Other ideas? What do you think?

Can you get fluid around the heads without filling the torx slots? I've read of tests of penetrating fluids and the one that released a stuck bolt with the least amount of torque applied was a home mix of 50% trans fluid and 50% acetone. Might be worth a try. If you twist the threads you can still drill them out.
I don't know how much room you have but I've used an impact screwdriver before with good success:
http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-scr ... 37530.html

You'd need 3/8" drive torx bits, or they may make a 1/4" version or you could use a 1/4">3/8" adapter. You smack the head with a hammer and it turns the screw maybe 1/8 of a turn with impact force. I got most every phillips head screw loose with one of these from Sears.
Jon

Back