• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Suspension options

J_Persons

I'm planing a build using a '67 Fastback and the new Coyote 5.0/T56 combo. Since it's a 4 cam engine I want to remove the shock towers for engine and header clearance. I was originally planning on using a Griggs Racing suspension but there may be some problems with getting it due to them filing chapter 11.
I don't want to use a Mustang II type, and the Fatman strut conversions use a rear steer rack and I want a front steer. Does anyone know of any other front suspension suppliers that would fit my needs? TIA, John

I can't think of any off the top of my head. I built my own using 2001 mustang spindles, QA1 lower control arms, Pole position adjustable uppers and my own spindle to A arm adapters. From what I've seen since the only front steer spindles that I could possibly consider as a replacement are the Griggs pieces. With front steer, my rack sits just below the crank dampener. I had to move the engine back roughly 4 inches to gain clearance so I could raise the rack to get it in the optimal location. Even still, I would have liked to move the engine back another inch or two. I'm not sure what the coyote oil pan profile looks like but that's probably going to determine which direction you go in regards to the steering.

The Mustang II setup isn't supposed to be all that bad... Rod and Custom's setup seems to get the best reviews...

That doesn't mean they are no longer in business, unless they did in fact close their doors. A release from Griggs:

Griggs Racing Files for Chapter 11

January 21, 2010

A release from Bruce Griggs is as follows:

Griggs Racing entered into a Chapter 11 proceeding on December 1st 2009 due to unfortunate circumstances regarding our new leasehold. Repeated delays of completion of the new facilities resulted in our getting behind in production and fulfillment and efforts to remedy the situation through negotiation were unsuccessful, therefore we entered into a Chapter 11 to protect both our assets and creditors while we reorganize our expansion plans. We recognize that hearing of such action by any business can create uncertainty in the customer base. Our customer’s should not be alarmed. We have no intention of going out of business.

All businesses run into difficulties at times and Griggs Racing is no different. We are enjoying our 31st year of operation under the same management, and 17 years of Mustang exclusively. In the past, we have had to overcome far more difficult problems. This problem will be overcome as well. Since the delays regarding our facility have mostly been resolved, we have rapidly returned to full production speed and business goes on as usual while inventory levels are improving. Lead times are diminishing and in the end, our customers and creditors should both benefit from this action. New products are on the horizon.

So please be assured, your Griggs Racing suspension order is safe, and will be filled as soon as possible. Barring unforeseen overwhelming occurrences, both products and services will be available far into the future. If you have any further questions regarding this endeavor, feel free to contact me directly at 707-939-2244 ext 202.

Bruce Griggs.

There are other alternatives, although I have no firsthand experience with them. Art Morrison is legendary in their suspension design and they offer a full frame kit for our cars in the Max G kit. Here is a link for more info: http://www.artmorrison.com/2006cat/17.pdf It is a sweet setup but I'm pretty sure the floorboards have to be removed as well as the existing front and rear subframes. I can't recall the amount of work needed to get the Griggs system to work. Here is a car that has this setup: http://67mustangblog.com/2008/04/art-morrison-twin-turbo-1967-ford-mustang-fastback/

Another system is made by Total Cost Involved. It is based on the MII system, but has been engineered to be better. Example of a car using it: http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/1967_Ford_Mustang_Fastback/TCI_67_Mustang_Front_End_Build/TCI_front_end.html and http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/suspension/mdmp_0807_tci_custom_independent_front_suspension_install/index.html

There are others but I can't think of them off hand. Without the shock towers you are limited to the MII style or a custom suspension like the Art Morrison.

Back