• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

swapping 6 to 8..in need of parts

fordrule

well im in the beginnings of my swap and need parts..all i have is mustang with a running 6 cyl in it..anyone got anything?

i would like to run disc brakes to all the corners and I am looking at either a 302 or 289...351w would be fun though

let me know

If you're going with a manual trans I have a small block z-bar. What year is the car you are working on? I have some various stuff for the small blocks.

I've got a complete 8" rear drum to drum. Brakes will need to be gone through and a couple wheel studs will need to be replaced. Not sure of the gear but it should be 2.79. I bought it for an extra but will not be using as I had planned. I've also got a set of 302 heads already built and my old 289 heads that would need to be rebuilt. That's all I can think of for now. PM me if interested.

I've got two trannys in the garage and some misc engine parts. I think I have a front sway bar too.

Mel

I guess I need to go through and make a list of all I need to get my hands on to perform my swap. I would really like to get my hands on a explorer gt-40 v8 and go carbed for now and just keep the efi for later. I still need to see how much harder it will be to go from c4 to t-5.

I have a later model C4 that came out of the 65. It was behind a 289 so I guess it is for a V8. I have the T10 4spd that came out of the 67 with BH and such.

I also have some hipo exhaust manifolds from the 65.

Mel

I am thinking of going the cheapest route possible to get her running, so the dreams of AOD/t-5 are probably going out the door. a couple members have expressed that they have 8in rearends that just need some love. granted I wouldn't mind getting a 8.8 and 5.0 roller but I might be in a pipe dream with her.

I can get you a Ford Motorsports 8.8 from a fox body Mustang with 3.55:1 limited slip with 200 miles on it (still four lug). I have an offer from a guy to trade me for a RC Monster truck I am selling for $350. If you want it I can go ahead and make the deal and sell it to you when you have the time/money? It's the guy I got the heads from.
Let me know, it would require welding on spring perches for leaf springs and converting to 5 lug axles, not sure if you want it.

wouldn't I still need to swap axles, add disc brakes and shorten the tubes and reweld the perches. I am almost considering to dig into the six and get her running, but swap the running gear to 5 lug and have it set up for the v8 swap. I'm not sure if i am going to be able to afford too much...thanks craig I appreciate it

"fordrule" said:
wouldn't I still need to swap axles, add disc brakes and shorten the tubes and reweld the perches.
I don't know about shortening the tubes, but yes to everything else.

Well I thought I would ask anyway!

if I get the engine from jan I will probably need the exhaust manifolds and probably the C4 also. Anything wrong with the trans?

I just got offered some 16in AR rims and a shelby style hood...I just need togo pick them up in ohio....wow things are fallin place for the rebirth of the stallion..

"fordrule" said:
if I get the engine from jan I will probably need the exhaust manifolds and probably the C4 also. Anything wrong with the trans?

I just got offered some 16in AR rims and a shelby style hood...I just need togo pick them up in ohio....wow things are fallin place for the rebirth of the stallion..

I don't think anything is wrong with the C4, but it has been sitting so the seals may have dried up and need to be replaced. It functioned fine when I pulled it.

Anyway, I think you were talking to me, but hard to tell on my phone.

Mel

Back