• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T-5

jpyoung

I'm new here, but have had mustangs for quite awhile. I think I trashed my WC T-5 and am wondering what options I have on a rebuild. I don't want to cut my tunnel, so from what I gather, I'll have to stick with my tranny. What's the best way to make it stronger? I work overseas and will be home next week. I appreciate any input you can provide.

What year is your car? How much HP/TQ are you making? Are you looking at using your existing clutch or are you open to different one? The reason I ask that is that some transmissions use a different spline input shaft.

I'm over 300hp but not sure of torque. I'm open to a different clutch, if that will improve things. I don't want something that will need alot of leg muscle to engage though. Basically, I don't mind spending a little more money end up with something better than I have. I want to do this right the first time.

I was looking into rebuilding a T5 I had a while back but decided to go with a T56 6 speed. That won't be an option for you unless you want to cut on things which you don't. I did quite a bit of research on variations of the T5 There are a couple companies that make gear sets that will handle more power than a WC T5. There is Astro Performance which makes the best kit imho. They seem to be the most respected for 400hp+ T5's. The only bad thing is last fall they weren't able to provided the kit to me on a reasonable time line.

The other kit is a G-Force gear set. I've heard mixed results on those but good overall.

http://www.astroperformance.com/
http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

I have a G-force geared T-5.... unfortunately I haven't put it in yet to give you a real opinion. I did a ton of research, and like you didn't want to raise my tunnel. You can get several different options like an upgraded mainshaft, different ratios, better cases, etc. I just went with the basic G-force kit in a standard case and plan to run 550HP through it. BTW, it requires a 26 spline clutch vs the standard 10 spline. As far as the clutch goes, I'm going with a Spec stage 2+, but you could get away with a stage 1 or 2, and have stock pedal feel.

Back