• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T5/3rd gear synchro....

daveSanborn

When it's cold out.... like today..... 37 degrees this AM and I decided to drive the '66 to the office..... the first time (and only the first time) that I upshift into 3rd gear.... no matter how softly/quickly/slowly/gently/RPM.... the 3rd gear synchro isn't working and the gears "grind". This problem has always existed since installing the T5 almost 2 years ago. Any subsequent shift into 3rd gear is normal, it's just that first upshift.

In the summer months it doesn't usually happen.

Can I assume that it's just a minor quirk associated with the tranny being cold and nothing to be overly concerned about? Or is it a sign of eminent demise of the T5? Has anyone else with a T5 encountered this?

Just based on manual transmissions in general, if one gear grinds ever, and the rest don't......there is a problem. Some may think a lighter weight lube could be used but I feel that only masks the problem. It may last a long time, but I say there is a problem for sure. Now, is is bad enough to be repaired.....only you can make that call or you could post the question in the forum titled WWSD (What Would Sanborn Do). That guy always has an answer.

I've never had that issues, but it sounds similar to the issues with the T5 reverse, it will ALWAYS grind if you try to go directly into reverse, but if you go into 5th first, it will slide right into reverse.

I had this exact issue in my past Fox body. 3rd gear is easily the weakest link in a T5, and you will see the wear on the syncro when you open it up. Mine did this for a while, and never failed, but it became annoying after a while, so I just pulled it. Inside I also had broken part of the shift fork off too, causing bad engagment of 3rd.

Ryan,

Thanks for the insight. I'll continue to live with it until a more serious issue develops. It's only the FIRST time shifting into third that it happens and it's only when it's cold outside. Note to self: Keep a lookout for another T5.

Rick,

Yes, reverse is not synchonized. An easy way to get the reverse gear to stop spinning is to slide her up into 5th before coming back down into reverse and this is exactly what I do.

Sounds like you may be getting a little closer to a TKO or T56................... Might as well get ready for some good heads and that blower you have been wanting to slap on that thing.

Not so much "encouragement" than a kick in the arse. We need more members of the boosted club and you are the perfect guy. That way when I have more problems I can ask you........ Truely selfish motivation here.

Try to change the gear oil into one with a viscosity that is slightly thinner.
When you drive the car , after some miles the trans heat up and the oil is thinner.
IMHO

I get the same thing with my T5 - the only difference is that if I go into 3rd REALLY gently, it doesn't grind. I'm hoping it doesn't decay over time...

Stoked that there's a trick to getting rid of the reverse grinding - I had no idea!

if I go into 3rd REALLY gently......

Yep, me too.... if I remember.... and I'm not trying to merge into traffic upon exiting my driveway.... I can "ease" it into third and usually avoid the grind.

Back